Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I shot my First elk >

I shot my First elk

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I shot my First elk

Old 09-11-2006, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I shot my First elk

Don't get me wrong Im happy that this guy is happy. Must have been fun.It's just not "hunting" to me to shoot an animal that young. Just my opinion. And it's just makes me a little sad to know that calf lived just a couple of months of life, and it must have been a scared and bad way to go for a "baby".
Its not hunting for a human to shoot a calf, yet every other predator goes for the calves first. Its tagged, which means its legal, which means you'll get a congrats from me. Besides, looked like it would be an easy drag.

Nature is cruel - get over it. I'd say a clean killing arrow shot is probably the best way of any predator to take out an animal. No loud noise, no sharp teeth ripping apart your flesh. If you want to impart herd management, QDM, shooting adult animals, etc - DO IT! But dont expect others to follow your codes. After all, we're just predators like everything else.

EDIT - reread the post i just made and it sounded like I was talking to just the person I quoted. Not the case, just so happened that I used his post as a starting subject. No offense meant.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:04 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: atlasman

What the heck are you guys so sad about??

Some people around here have lost sense of what hunting is all about.

Look at the picture.......he is thrilled and it was a legal hunt.

Jesus..........shoot what you want and be happy for others who do the same.

EXCELLENT job man...........enjoy your meat, and the memories of your first successful elk hunt with a bow.

Just ignore the stupid comments.

Amen.

Congrads on your first elk.

Congrats to you on a fine hunt.

Old 09-11-2006, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats!

Hey, I look at it this way, it was his tag and his hunt.

If it were your tag and your hunt, you would be entilted to do what you want.

It wouldn't be right for someone else to impose on you what size animalyou should kill.

Besides, if there was to be a bad winter, this little elk would be one of the first to die of starvation or the first to be taken by a predator.

I see many of the posts on here not being very supportive. Yet, if one of these same guys were to take their young son or daughter or wife, deer hunting and they shot a young button buck or young doe, they'd be proud of their first kill.

That young elk should make some fine eating. Congrats again!
Old 09-11-2006, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am amazed by the negative responses to this. I think that too many "hunters" on here have been spending too much time in front of the TV watching hunting shows where the pros get all season in the best areas to hunt animals, and now they think that that is what hunting is all about. Forget that. As for shooting a baby, what do you think veal is? Have you ever had yearling meat? It is absolutely delicious, the best you can have. So don't knock someone else just because they aren't you and they don't think like you. It is sad how hunters can't just be supportive of other ethical hunters no matter how, where, or why they hunt.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:14 PM

I agree congratulations on a fine hunt, i hope you have more successful hunts in the future.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats, but be careful with a quartering to shot.

She was angling towards me near 40 yards.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

congrats man. Don't listen to the naysayers.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:28 PM
Fork Horn

I apologise for my comments posted. I didn't mean anything against anyone, expecially the threat starter. My first deer was a nubber, I had no reason to comment like I did. Sorry. Just got a week hart, (think I had flash backs when I saw that photo) when I shot my nubber at 12 years old I cried my eyes out when I walked up to him.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

Wow, some of you should be ashamed of yourselves for even posting.

Congrats on your first elk! You should be proud of it, regardless of size.
Well said man, exactly what I was thinking.

Also some of you may not realize that they isssuecow/calf tags in many areas. Some places in Wyoming require that you shoot two doe/fawn antelope before you kill a buck. What does it matter if it lived4 months or 3 years? It doesn't.

Very well done on the first elk, I guarantee there won't be any better eating animals.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:37 PM
Fork Horn

congrats i guess, thats awful its smaller than a whitetail. thats a waste of a tag

Quick Reply: I shot my First elk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.