HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Rubber boots vs scent elimination spray applied to leather boot (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/155726-rubber-boots-vs-scent-elimination-spray-applied-leather-boot.html)

BDC 09-10-2006 07:46 PM

Rubber boots vs scent elimination spray applied to leather boot

Which would be better for scent free footwear, rubber boots or scent elimination spray applied to regular leather hunting boots?

Rob/PA Bowyer 09-10-2006 07:51 PM

RE: Rubber boots vs scent elimination spray applied to leather boot

I'd call them equal if not favored to the leather boots and Scent Killer. I've used both to success. I've had bucks cross my path wearing rubber boots with success as I've had with leather boots and spraying down with Scent Killer.

I wear rubber boots for the creek I have to cross on the way to my stand. Another entrance I have I wear leather/cordura boots with Scent Killer with the same successful results.

I've come to this system after being busted by button bucks while I wore leather boots with no spray....I'll never go in without Scent Killer.

xt3rm1n4t0r 09-10-2006 07:58 PM

ive never tried rubber boots, i just bought some during the summer to try out this year. But last year i had a small 6 smell my trail where i had walked in with leather boots and turned right around and headed back. That same morning went to local shop picked up scent killer, and never had it happen again with the leather boots. also at that spot there is a small apple tree right next to the road where i walk in, i wll step on the apples that are on the ground to try to cover any scent tha still might be on the boots.

PA Bow/Flinter 09-10-2006 08:04 PM

Why not spray scent killer on rubber boots?

demoIL 09-10-2006 08:26 PM

I use both kinds and I spray scent killer on both kinds..
I also only put my boots on once in the field though, usually try to find some Cow poo poo on the way.. lol
It stays on all year long, no problem with smell, well... for the deer anyway...:D

Rob/PA Bowyer 09-10-2006 08:31 PM

ORIGINAL: PA Bow/Flinter

Why not spray scent killer on rubber boots?
Rubber boots are a pain the arse not to mention they have a scent to themselves no matter what you do. If I don't have water to cross, it's normal foot wear and Scent Killer. Same results, dry feet, easy on/off, not busted. Win/win.

patchholder 09-10-2006 08:47 PM

I have tried all the above even the cow poo where the cows are at. My feet seem to get too hot in rubber boots and the scent I think tries to come out the top too much and the rubber does seem to keep a unnatural scent to it. As far as the leather boots go I have used scentkiller on the many times and it does work o.k. but scentkiller is made for human odor not dirty musty leather. WhatI have found works the best is boot scent eliminator it comes in a spray bottle like scentkiller and it does work very well.

deergrappler 09-10-2006 10:41 PM

I use rubber boots and scent elimination spray

Campo 09-11-2006 05:43 AM

Play the wind to your favor and your won't have to worry about it;)

BDC 09-11-2006 05:46 AM

Thanks for the replies!

I was considering buying a pair of rubber boots but I think I will stick with spraying my leather boots.

Rubber boots do not have enough ankle support for me. Also, I walk long distances to get to my stand and my feet sweat a lot.

Thanks again.

BDC