HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   What piece of equipment... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/155385-what-piece-equipment.html)

kenman 09-08-2006 09:18 AM

What piece of equipment...

has changed the way you hunt and it would be tough for you to hunt without it?

I think mine is the GPS. I go deeper into the woods, stay later in stand, have no problems following a blood trail at 10pm, I do more scouting...it has just opened up a ton of options. I've always been good with a compass, but with a GPS and a compass I can literally go anywhere.

GMMAT 09-08-2006 09:26 AM

RE: What piece of equipment...

How does this help you follow a blood trail?

Just curious. Are you talking about not being afraid to get lost? If so....I can see that. For the places I hunt......I'd have to say I'm going to enjoy the luxury I have to own a lone wolf hang on........and have 4 places I can use it by simply hanging it on a hook/strap I've installed on the various trees. I can have 4 stand locations and never risk losing one stand.

Now.....when I was living in Charleston....and fishing the coastal waters......the GPS was WITHOUT A DOUBT THE MOST important thing I took with me, out there........along with the 2-way.....and......well....it was VERY important.

Jeff

statjunk 09-08-2006 09:41 AM

The GPS is also important to me too. It provides all of the same things. Though I can say that I've had a few scary moments after being out there for a while and the GPS unit was unable to pick up a signal because of the clouds or the canopy or whatever. It has happened to me a couple of times.

Tom

kenman 09-08-2006 10:02 AM

ORIGINAL: SBGobblers

How does this help you follow a blood trail?
Most bow kills I've had have been right around that last hour (or less) of shooting light. After waiting an hour, it's dark. When I'm on a blood trail, I am so 'into' finding the next drops everything else in my mind (like direction) goes away. And in the dark, things look different than in the daytime. With a GPS, my stand is logged in, I start on the blood trail and go. I'm not really afraid to spend the night in the woods, it is just that my bed is more comfortable. So I guess it doesn't help me follow a trail, just gives me the confidence to know when I find the end of the trail, I'll be able to easily find my way back.

huntingson 09-08-2006 10:36 AM

ORIGINAL: kenman

I'm not really afraid to spend the night in the woods, it is just that my bed is more comfortable.
:DGood point. I think that the GPS/walkie talkies are the best piece of gear I have ever come across. Mainly usefuel in wide-open spaces where you could get hurt and stranded for a LONG time if you couldn't get ahold of someone and have your position show up on their unit. It just gives me such peace of mind. Other than that I would saya range finder. These are my picks but they mainly apply to ground hunting spot and stalk style.

Campo 09-08-2006 11:18 AM

I never fully rely on any piece of equipment when I go into the woods...except for my bow, treestand, and camo.
The only reason is that if I lost something, say my GPS or my laser rangefinder (which I love) then I would be out of luck.
Rely on your senses, that is why you were born with them.
That said...I still want a GPS unit. ;)

kenman 09-08-2006 11:22 AM

ORIGINAL: Campo

never fully rely on any piece of equipment when I go into the woods...
No doubt Campo, I always have a compass along as well.Never know whenI'll have to pull the batteries out of theGPS to use inthe flashlight ;)

WKP Todd 09-08-2006 11:23 AM

Lone Wolf Treestands and Predator Camo are the only (2) things that I can honestly say have changed the way I hunt!

WKP Todd 09-08-2006 11:24 AM

Sounds like you guys just need the "right" equipment!

nodog 09-08-2006 07:43 PM

One I've come to rely on is No Doze. I rely on most of the stuff everyone else does, but No Doze keeps me very alert. Otherwise, just sitting there is a killer for me. It really gives me an edge.