HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Latest overrated fad? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/155286-latest-overrated-fad.html)

BowHntrRick 09-07-2006 01:05 PM

Latest overrated fad?

What would you say is the latest overrated fad?

A classic example of an overrated fad is the carbon clothing craze: from what I have read, the science of carbon clothes indicates that they work to a very limited degree and for a very limited time. At best, they are useful for three years with decreasing usefulness each of the three years. If you get the carbon clothes for free (in order to promote them on hunting shows), then they are worthwhile. For the rest of us, unless you have money to burn they are not worth the expense.

I suggest that the latest overrated fad is the ground blind: the Cabelas catalog has a gazillion variations (including carbon lined!?) for up to several hundred dollars.

While I can certainly see a few situations where a ground blind is useful, the overwhelming number of situations here in the east call for a tree stand. In addition to the fact that deer don't typically expect a predator to be above them (although some deer may be wising up about this) and the probable benefit of getting your scent above the air currents reaching the deer, I also very much enjoy the improved view that a tree stand affords. The tree stand is a tried and true method of bowhunting deer: I suspect that the ground blind is mostly another way to part a hunter from his money.

I think another overrated fad is the numerous camo patterns. Does it really make any difference if you wear mossy oak, seclusion 3d, or realtree hardwoods? I can certainly see how predominantly lighter or darker camo would be preferable in certain situations, but most of us know what it is like to hang a tree stand in the early season, sit in it for a while as the sun begins to set, and have deer pass nearby while we are wearing ordinary clothes.

What about a rangefinder for bowhunting? I would not even consider wasting my money on a laser rangefinder: I can tell the difference between 30 yards, 25 yards, and so on. This becomes increasingly true as arrow speedsincrease: many hunters simply use a single pin, perhaps aiming a little high for an obviously longer shot (30 yards) and a little lower for a short shot (10-15 yards).

How about the "parallel limb" bow?I have not shot a bow of this type, but it is hard to imagine the improvement over my 2002 Hoyt being enough to make it necessary for me to run out and buy one. I think I can wait until my present bowneeds to be replaced before moving up to the latest technology.

One of the most useful aspects of a forum like this is the opportunity to question marketing "hype" and discover what is genuinely useful and worth our money.

Germ 09-07-2006 01:12 PM

RE: Latest overrated fad?

Posting topics that are irrlevent[&:]

kevin1 09-07-2006 01:19 PM

I agree with all of your choices other than ground blinds . While I own both a climber and a ladder stand I'm still uncomfortable with heights . My pop-ups allow me portable concealment , no necessity for camo , and even protection from the weather on demand . I love them .
Oh , what about that silly Gum-o-flage or the Deer View mirror ? :D

davidmil 09-07-2006 01:26 PM

My biggies would be like you, the Carbon Clothing. Next or maybe even first would be all the artificial stinko lures they try to push and people buy. As far as the rangefinder. I don't think that's a useless fad. They DO work and not everyone can judge distances. It's a know fact. Some people cannot do it. I believe I saw somewhere that the average bowhunter in a treestandis off by something like 7 yards in range estimation at 30 yards. That's a miss folks.

GR8atta2d 09-07-2006 01:28 PM

[&:]Blue long undewear?? That's a funny fad..lol

Red Boar 09-07-2006 01:43 PM

Have to disagree regarding ground blinds. I've had excellent success on both deer and turkey with them. Some areas just don't have trees suitable for climbing treestands (which are my first choice as well). Just as with most all of live's challenges, having multiple strategies for approaching a given situation, and being able to adapt and change, will provide a greater likelihood of success. ;) I also believe general catagories of camo for various situations and game are helpful. Certainly I don't wear the same camo in a duck blind as I would in open fields or in dense hardwords. All animal species have adopted ways to blend with their environment...why should we be different? Do any of these products guarantee success...certainly not. It's just all about improving our oddsof success. Best of luck.

Red

Buck442 09-07-2006 02:19 PM

Well I guess I am not so bright because I have Scentlok a Paralel limb bow and a ground blind, I guess I just need to get me that range finder now....

OOOH Yaa. I have these plusseveral more not mounted( see pics)and they all were taken using said gimmicks.

Too Each his own opinion. No bashing just saying that they all work for ME

burniegoeasily 09-07-2006 02:21 PM

Scent lock clothing, and quick spin vanes.

burniegoeasily 09-07-2006 02:24 PM

ORIGINAL: Buck442

Well I guess I am not so bright because I have Scentlok a Paralel limb bow and a ground blind, I guess I just need to get me that range finder now....

OOOH Yaa. I have these ( see pics)in addition to my Gimmicks above.

Too Each his own opinion. No bashing just saying thet all wok for ME

Very nice deer. Or I should say, very nice deer (plural). But would you say that your success was due to your prep and experience, or your equipment? Fred bear used non of the above. Like you said, not bashing so please do not take this post as such, just a question. Because to bag deer that nice, it takes a lot more than equipment.;)

Dubbya 09-07-2006 02:30 PM

ORIGINAL: ghemry

Posting topics that are irrlevent[&:]
haha greatness sir.