Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Latest overrated fad? >

Latest overrated fad?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Latest overrated fad?

Old 09-09-2006, 09:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Latest overrated fad?

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

From my understanding, bow range is supposed to be horizontal distance, so do rangefinders adjust for stand altitude or is it just a point-to-point measurement?
You're correct in the assertion about horizontal distance, and it's what causes a lot of bowhunters to shoot high. Although there are a few rangefinders starting to hit the market that claim to be able to adjust for this, I haven't heard too many great things about them at this point.

You could shoot a few known objects while you were still on the ground, but I find it much simpler to just pick out a tree I want to range and follow its trunk up to the level of my treestand, which is usually 20 feet or so. I then range that tree at that horizontal distance, much as you suggested. That gives me the real distance I should shoot for.
(not directed at Greg, just general)

What causes hunters to shoot high is bad form, dropping the bow arm instead of bending at the waist. The difference in ranges from the ground compared to the tree is less than 2 yards and usually less than one at shorter distances. Worst case scenerio, range the deer and shoot for one less yard, most bows don't know the difference in an inch of point of impact.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gibblet

in my personal opinion, which doesn't make it right, drop-away arrow rests take the cake in the fad department.
Sooooooooooooo true IMHO. They do work, but no better or worse than anything else out there.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:39 AM

While I agree with you on most of your comments, the ground blind and range finder are valuable assets in my aresenal.

I hunt on public land and the woods are often crowded with hunters. The property is surrounded by prairie and savana hence NO TREES. Beyond that is crop land. I'll set the blind up near some brushes and get the first crack at any deer returning to the woods.

I wont speak to the bow, since I hae never tried a parrallel limb. I have never tried scent lock either because it is too much money. About camo, I think that anything that will break up your outline it helpfull. I sometimes use "waterfowl" camo because it is rain proof.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:55 AM

This is a veryentertaining thread. THe only major disagreements I have are the parrellal limbs and range finder.

Out here in the west, our shots range quite a bit in distance. This season I got a bull elk at 52 yards. My estimate was that the elk was 40 yards away. If I did not have my range finder, I would have missed the elk or even worse, just wounded the bull.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some people have tooo much energy in there fingertips.

Buy what makes you happy. Or just buy...hurry up and buy....