Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Latest overrated fad? >

Latest overrated fad?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Latest overrated fad?

Old 09-08-2006, 07:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Latest overrated fad?

WOW this is amazing........I love my ground blind I have been able to get closer to more deer than he has probably ever seen. Last year for exampleI had a doe walk right up to the blind anddamned near walk right in with me. Now who ever says blinds dont work hasnt tried or they are just jealous for thoes who can get them to work the way they are supposed to work.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:19 AM
Dominant Buck

I couldnt bash anyone for what they like. If it works for you, and you like it, use it.

The debate about archery equipment is probably the most heated debates on Earth.

The only thing Ill make fun of is the hunter who has to have camo, all the bells and whistles, that goes to an outfitter who sets them up in an elevated condo blind with a rifle. I live in the middle of outfitting country, here in North West Texas, and I see these guys come in the stores with the high dollare camo and everything else they could buy at Cabalos, just to set in a highrise blind with heaters. You could set in these blinds with cronic gas and a fan blowing and a deer would never see or smellyou, yet they have to be all camoed out. I guess its like the guys I see at Harley ralleys who have to have all the Harley leather and clothes, simply to set in a parking lot and drink beer while looking at their bikes. I guess some grownups like to play dress up. I can only laugh.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:04 AM
Typical Buck

burniegoeasily

I will give you some guys go overboard. And i bet most guys and gals on here would to. but for must of us on here i believe thats not true we may buy a new idea every year or so but we are not like you described
Old 09-08-2006, 12:26 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: monster10rackstack

burniegoeasily

I will give you some guys go overboard. And i bet most guys and gals on here would to. but for must of us on here i believe thats not true we may buy a new idea every year or so but we are not like you described
Please dont get me wrong. I know most everyone here is not guilty of it. If you bow hunt, you are a little more dedicated than that. I was just poking fun at the weekend warrior. Everyone knows the kind, dont practice, simpy buy the equipment and pay an outfitter to set them up over a feeder in a cushy blind. The guys that dont shot their gun except to practice the day before the hunt.The lawyer type thatare not really hunters, but like to play like one every other year. My post was meant more of a joke than anything literal
Old 09-08-2006, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Camoflaged underwear
Old 09-08-2006, 03:13 PM

ORIGINAL: HAZCON7

Camoflaged underwear
What? You've never hunted in your skivys?
Old 09-08-2006, 03:41 PM
Spike

With respect to the comments on my initial post, note that I did not suggest the things that I mentioned were worthless; only that they may be overrated and, in some cases, (carbon clothing is a case in point: I fully expect that something with more lasting effectiveness will replace them), a fad. On the other hand, I have found the thoughtful responses instructive and, in some cases, changed my opinion.

Rangefinder: It is clear that at least some hunters consider this a necessity. While $200 or more seems a great deal of money to judge 0-30 yards, I may feel differently if I misjudge and miss (or worse, wound) an animal.

Parallel limb bow: I did not say that this design was useless; only that it may be overrated. How can I say this without ever shooting a parallel limb bow? Because I honestly don't consider the "hand shock" or "draw smoothness" of my 02 Hoyt to be a significant problem. I may well opt for a parallel limb bow when the time comes to replace the one I have now and I expect that I will enjoy the improved performance. I am only suggesting that the difference cannot be so dramatic that I must have one NOW when these factors are not that significant on my present bow.

Besides, plenty of people purchase new Reflex Highlandersfor roughly half the price of a parallel limb bow and are entirely satisfied with theolder design.

Ground blinds: Clearly there are some situations that are suitable for ground blinds (as I indicated in my first post). However, I suggest that the "fad" aspect of ground blinds are the number of manufacturers with the varieties offered. Most hunters are unlikely to own three or more ground blinds like they often own multiple tree stands: once most of the hunters have purchased one ground blind to use on those occasions that call for it, the market will be satisfied and the available selection will decrease to a handful of choices.

Further, I predict that for most ground blind users the novelty will wear off andthey will go back to predominantly tree stands and natural blinds unless there is some special circumstance that prevents them from doing so.

Still, I am always willing to learn. Favor me with your wisdom and I will benefit from it.

Old 09-08-2006, 03:53 PM

Nicely said, BowHntrRick...a very gracious post. Hopefully, we all come here to learn something new. Best to you,

Red
Old 09-08-2006, 03:59 PM
Typical Buck

I like this talk about fads. I don’t think I’ve been bowhunting long enough to know a fad when I see it. But I must say that I do believe in carbon. Last year, late in the season, I had a group of 6 does sneak up on me from behind on wet leaves (from previous day’s rain) while I was intent on a buck emerging from some thick cover below me. The does were coming from uphill and downwind and I was only 8 feet up in a stand. Most of them were within 15 yards of me for at least two minutes without scenting me. I was wearing a carbon suite and had generously sprayed myself and my equipment with no-scent. I’m a believer!

I don’t think I’d use a blind until I get old and achey. Until then I’ll just use fallen trees and brush as my cover when I hunt from the ground.

I’m not fanatic about camo, but I like duller camo later in the season and greener camo early in the season.

I could probably use a rangefinder. I pace off 10 and 20 yard markers when I cut my shooting lanes a month before season begins, and use those as a mental compass (as in the architect’s tool, not the magnetic kind) to mentally draw two circles around my stand. I think I get pretty close with that method. But there are times when I’m not in a stand that I imagine it would be handy to have a rangefinder. Question: From my understanding, bow range is supposed to be horizontal distance, so do rangefinders adjust for stand altitude or is it just a point-to-point measurement?

I used Code Blue estrous doe pee once, late last season and had a buck snorting behind me (out of range), wanting to get at the “doe” long after the does that were with him fled, having sensed me, so I think at least some of the scent stuff works some of the time.

I’ve never tried a lot of the other stuff people have mentioned, and I hesitate to critique something I haven’t tried. I view some of this stuff like accessories in a car. Some people want all the bells and whistles and some people don’t have much use for them. Some stuff that may be bells and whistles for some people are a necessity for others or for certain situations (such as hunting in extreme cold, etc.).

I say let people have their gadget fetishes if they want to spend the money on them. Eventually, the fads will sort themselves out and fall by the wayside, and some of them that are useful enough will become mainstays and will probably become more affordable as time goes by.

Old 09-08-2006, 04:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Camoflaged underwear
That invention came to fruition with Davidmil in mind, I think... [8D]

Quick Reply: Latest overrated fad?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.