Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

mast crops

Old 09-07-2006, 10:24 PM

Default RE: mast crops

I live about 1/4 mile from the PA border but live in NY.I hunt Tioga and Chemung counties in NY and Bradford county in PA.
Last year there were a ton of whiteacorns where ever I went.This year there's not nearly as manywhite acorns whereI hunt.
I thought with all the rain we had,it would be another mast crop but that was not to be.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:11 PM
Typical Buck

I hunt two pieces of landin Virginianear the WVA border. They are about 15 miles apart. Both have lots of white oaks. Last year one had a bumper acorn crop and the other had almost none at all. This year they both seem to have moderate acorn crops. The one that had the bumper crop last year had so much food (acorns, wild grapes, other berries and low graze)that the deer hardly hardly had to move. My neighbor said it was the first time he had ever not seen lots of deer. I attribute it to "too" abundant food reducing the need for movement. That and the nighttime car blind hunters...
Old 09-08-2006, 08:37 AM

Here in Southern Md the mast crop is better than it's been in many years. However, the storm that just blew through cleared over half of the mast off the trees. Tons of acorns and nuts on the ground all over the place. Not sure how this will effect the deer now, but I think it will make for some good hunting later this year.