Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Recommend a Broadhead >

Recommend a Broadhead

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Recommend a Broadhead

Old 09-05-2006, 08:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Recommend a Broadhead

Here's my short list of Fixed blade heads that I'd pick above all others(in no particular order):

G5 Striker
Slick Trick
Rocky Mountain Turbo
NAP Nitron

These are obviously not the only heads that will get the job done, they are simply my favorite list. All 4 have inherent built in accuracy due to their aerodynamic qualities. In short they fly great, even out of marginally tuned bows.
They are also very strong heads and now that the Slick Tricks have good blades all 4 are some of the most scary sharp that you will find right out of the package.
I have yet to see the new Slick Trick blades but I can say with hands on certainty that the other 3 have some of the sharpest blades you will ever see out of the package. When they make you nervous to handle.......they're sharp.[:-]

I know tuning and all the technical aspects of archery can seem overwhelming at this time.......don't stroke out over it, pick it up a little at a time. For now give yourself the advantage of chosing a head like the one above that will compliment your set up and currenttuning abilityand try to understand the hows and whys of tuning along the way.
A little understanding of "Paper tuning" will go a long way to help you get on the right track.
Right now most of all you need to get your tune as close as your ability will get you and then settle on a head and start to gain some confidence in it.

Old 09-05-2006, 08:24 PM
Fork Horn

My Slick Trick blades are....welll, let's just say they're not as sharp as they could be. I've had them for a year or so. Do you suppose Slick Trick will exchange them for newer, shaper blades?
Good luck!
Old 09-05-2006, 08:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

After over 20 years of bowhunting I've actually only ever used 4 different broadheads, why fix what aint broke right? Anyway, in my begining years I bought cheap Satellite heads, that's what they were but they've vastly improved.

I then went to Thunderheads, great head but dispised the way they assembled, I switched to Muzzy's early in my bowhunting career and continued to use them to date. They've never let me down. I also now use and can recommend Rocky Mountain Snypers, the first and only mechanical I have ever used. I was an anti mechanical person until 5 Shot opened my eyes with his testing, of course at the same time, improvements to mechanicals coincided and techincal improvements helped me to be swayed.

Thunderheads at one time,

Muzzy and Rocky Mountain Snypers.

Of course there are many more fixed blade heads including the Fuse/Innerloc line.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Tarheel,
I don't know if they would exchange them........?? I have 1/2 doz here myself and they are hand sharpened to a shaving edge but the factory edge was a little lacking. From what I am hearing the new blades are being made by some company in Germany and that they are indeed very sharp.
My suggestion would be to just use the ones you have for practice and get a set of the new blades for game time.
That's what I plan to do for mine.

You should see the Striker from G5.[:-]Holy momma they make the Montec look like a butter knife.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Been hunting for 20 years, and have experimented with tons of heads. My only regret is that I didn't shoot Stingers sooner...best head I ever shot. Razor sharp and fly better than field tips. You would love them.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:44 PM
Fork Horn

I think at 55lbs you could still shoot a mech. broadhead. You could drop down to a 75 grain tip, which will give you a little more speedand shoot the RocketMiniblaster, which as a 1 3/4 in cut diameter, an awesome broadhead. But if you want to stick with 100 grain tip try the Rocket Hammerhead, it has 2in cut diameter and I bet they will still open with the poundage you shoot. I have used both of these mech. broadheads and they are awesome.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:54 PM
Fork Horn

Lots of great replies. I'd imagine there are many game animals successfully taken with all of them.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:04 PM

American Broadhead Co. Sonics have worked great for me this year. Two shots, two dead deer.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:13 PM

My accuracy/penetration and torture tests yielded the following:

No. 1 Slick Trick
No. 2 G5 Strikers

Did I test every brand? Nope, but I tested 8 different heads. For me, Slick Tricks do it all. Best of luck.

Red
Old 09-05-2006, 09:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here are my three:

1. Slick Trick
2. Magnus Stingers
3. Muzzy

Quick Reply: Recommend a Broadhead

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.