HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Tuning question? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/154921-tuning-question.html)

Fieldmouse 09-04-2006 06:07 PM

Tuning question?

I feel I have the bow from hell. I'm paper tuning it to get that perfect pass through. I've come close but not perfect. I did change to regular fletched arrows because I thought my quick spins were screwing me up. It helped but I'm not there yet. What I'm getting is the triangle hole but I believe my tip it hitting at the lower slit not in the center. I should have a hole and three nice slits. Instead I have two slits and a forced tear where my third cut should be. I can't dial it in. The last thing I've been thinking is the spine.

For long range targeting, it's close but not dead on. I would say it's dialed into a 6" ring at 30 yrds I guess I could crank back down and test. I'm looking for ideas.

I'm around 75#s shoot 340 full metal jackets at 26.5" w/100gr tips.

drstalker 09-04-2006 07:59 PM

RE: Tuning question?

Fieldmouse I seemingly had the same thing happen a couple years ago,One of the things I tried was actually holding my bow at horizontal level and shooting,that is when I started making bullet holes.I was chasing slight high left tears then adjusting and getting slight high rights.I then realized I was holding my bow lower than level.Just a thought.

Rob/PA Bowyer 09-04-2006 08:23 PM

Canting is a good possibility, the other thing you could check if shooting a shoot through rest is lessen the tension on the rest. If your on a drop away, hmmm, make sure no fletch contact is happening anywhere including the cord.

I'm more into laser and level tuning than I am paper today. Once there, the holes are there unless your canting/torquing.

Fieldmouse 09-05-2006 03:58 AM

Thanks guys. I've never had this much problems. I set my old Tomcat this weekend for my friends son and it zero'd in right away.

BGfisher 09-05-2006 07:28 AM

I suspect that your arrows are underspined profusely. It's pretty well established that when you approach 70# with anything around 28" or more then you should be shooting a .300 spine. It's even possible in your shorter arrows. There is a way to find out.

I would try backing down the weight to see if this is indeed the issue. At least two turns, which at about 68-69#should still give enough oomph for anything walking this earth.

I wouldn't get too excited about the arrows grouping at longer ranges. YOu can get almost any arrow to group, even if it's way underspined or over spined, with field tips.They might fly ugly but they'll group.It's when you put broadheads on that things can really get screwy.

I think I would download Easton's Tuning Guide (www.eastonarchery.com) and tune for broadheads. See if this helps.

You're seeing something else. Paper tuning isn't all it's cracked up to be all the time. It tells you what the arrow is doing as it leaves the bow, but not what's going on down range. And I've never shot a deer at 6'.

BOWFANATIC 09-05-2006 07:42 AM

If I understand your description correctly you might want to try adjusting your nock position.