Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Any Idea?

Old 09-03-2006, 08:21 AM

Default RE: Any Idea?

I had a very light colored coy in my back yard one morning abd looking at this guy I would think he was a dark coy dog.

Tim
Old 09-03-2006, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mangy ol Yote not even really black just sotrt of blackish brown soot stright and get ya a good close look. Definetly a Yot!
Old 09-03-2006, 09:14 PM
Typical Buck

As far as wolves go in this area, the only one I was ever close to was close to 20 miles south of our hunting land, and it had just been hit by a vehicle. That wolf was actually breathing his last when we came upon it, but expired just after we pulled it off the road. We called the local warden, and when he called us back later in the day; he told us it was a confirmed pure bred 150 lb male. The thing about it was the sheer size of that animal...I couldn't believe it.
I don't think this is an ordinary black yote as the food plot it's walking through is 8-10 inches tall, and we can see from the pic it's kinda tall. I think it's a coy dog, but I'm still outvoted here in the gang...lol I'm waiting to talk to the warden to get his take on it yet too. I'll keep ya'll posted on what HE thinks it is too.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:17 PM
Dominant Buck

To be honest, it looks like your neighbors Heinz 57 variety DOG. At the most a Yote, but I don't think so.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's a coyote. Let's look at its features.

Skinny pointed snout= yote

Long skinny legs = yote

Large ears, small head= yote

A wolf is very muscular. Legs are large and thick on a wolf.

The snout on a wolf is sorta blocky and not as long and pointed as in this photo.

It is a big coyote, though.

Old 09-04-2006, 07:16 AM

Maybe its a dark phase cougar.................I have seen them before
Old 09-04-2006, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's hard to tell, the flash in the eye's distorts the head and there is nothing nearby to compare it to for size. There have been 3 different wolf sightings along the hwy16 corridor between the Dells and Portage. I saw one myself. There is also a pack in the Adams Friendship area. When the wolvws show up the coyotes usually dissapear. They don't co-exist very well.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:51 AM

I tracked and kill a coyote that color here in Pa. had a rug made out of it.I also killed a red one the color of a red fox.both wieghed around 40lbs.and males.
Old 09-04-2006, 04:11 PM
Fork Horn

here in ontario there is a thing i think its called a coy-wolf that could also be a possibility
Old 09-04-2006, 06:52 PM
Fork Horn

definately a Yote...look at the tail and snout...too narrow for wolf. Thats just my unofficial opinion.

Dayna...where you hunt in PA? And do you use dogs?

Quick Reply: Any Idea?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.