Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 cold weather gear >

cold weather gear

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

cold weather gear

Old 09-01-2006, 07:15 PM
Typical Buck

Default cold weather gear

heres the scoop...my fiance' had a real hard time staying in the stand all day last season because her body got so cold(even when layering), so this year im going outtobuy her awarmer coat and better long under whare to make her day in the timber more enjoyable for her. the thing is with all the different brands claiming to be warmest i dont know which is best so i need your guy's advice. i have the long under whare picked out i think. i think im getting her under armour. haveany of you guys tried this with success or would you reccomend something different/better. as far as a coat,i want one that is real warm and still be able tomove in. also i want hertobe able to pull up a gun and pull back a bow with out it being so bulky that its in the way..i would go to a store and have her try different ones but there aren't any sporting good stores with a variety any where closeso im going to orderthem.which ones have you used and liked or disliked, or better yet which ones did your femalepartner use and liked or disliked.
any input would be great
thanks Jeff
Old 09-01-2006, 07:22 PM

Default RE: cold weather gear

I don't know what coat to suggest, but for under layers I love wool, wool socks, wool sweater, wool pants, wool hat, wool mittens.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:54 PM
Fork Horn

i hear a lot of good things about the under armour baselayers. What there supposed to do is wick away the moisture, or as we men like to call it "sweat" away from your skin. This will keep you nice and warm once you get to your stand.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get her a Heater Body Suit. Like a sleeping bag with sospenders. You keep it zipped up until the deer comes in then unzip the top and push off your shoulders to shoot. You don't have all of the bulk in the way when it comes time to shoot. I have seen the adds in most hunting mags. Or try a search online. Hope this helps.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not too sure what you call cold but look at BPS or Cabela's for the right thermal gear your looking for. They have thermal wear for the type climate your hunting. Dressing in layers isbest. Its easy to work up a sweat while going to your treestand and then the next hour your freezing your arse off. Right thermal boots/socks are one of the most important part of your clothing. If your feet are cold, your whole bodys cold. If your cold while hunting, your going tofidget and you won't see anything. Number one thing is you have to dress for the climate and be comfortable or its going to be pure miserable. After about an hour a persons body kind of acclimates itself and gets use too it, or at least mine does.

Bobby
Old 09-01-2006, 08:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

http://alpacadirect.com/Details.cfm?ProdID=1499&category=2&seconda ry=24

Trying a pair of these.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:50 PM

Check Cabelas.

They have a heated vest.

Something like electric socks, only for the upper body.

If I remember right, its only like $80. Definitely less than a new jacket, and I think it would keep her nice an toasty in the stand.

If I also remember right, one battery lasts up to like 8 hours per charge, so she could alternate it on and off all day when she gets chilled and be comfortable for an all day sit.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:52 PM

Under Armor's Cold gear is great stuff. Just make sure that the outer layers allow for some breathing. I have used it before with a coat thatdoesn't allow air/moisture to escape, and this keeps the moisture insidethegarmets. As long as the outer layers can breathe a little, Cold Gearworks like a charm.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:55 AM
Typical Buck

what about a coat any one help me out on what ones you liked?
thanks Jeff S
Old 09-02-2006, 10:22 AM

well living in N.W. IL it gets down right cold here so i checked around and the best i could find for the money was at Gander mountain they have a line called guide series they teamed up with scent lok and i got the pants and jacket for about $200 the pants are very warm but still light and the jacket has a removeable liner very warm and light weight but are very soft and quiet and the inner liner on both are made by scent lok for the price they where the best for me

Quick Reply: cold weather gear

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.