HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   What do you go after for deer #1 of the year (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/154429-what-do-you-go-after-deer-1-year.html)

Saxman1819 08-31-2006 06:29 PM

What do you go after for deer #1 of the year

So what do you go after as soon as you can start hunting? Do you go after a quick doe or right after Mr. Big? Or do you start off with the ole if it's brown, it's down just to get meat in the freezer quick?

Have you ever gone out and shot the bruser you've been watching in all your trail cams on the first day?

This is my second year really bowhunting and since I got skunked last year I really want to hear what you all do. :)

Rob/PA Bowyer 08-31-2006 06:34 PM

RE: What do you go after for deer #1 of the year

I'm always after a buck that beats my best buck. The last two years I've taken very unique bucks the last week of PA's season....and I was very happy with both.

gzg38b 08-31-2006 06:34 PM

Where I hunt if it's a mature deer it's down (buck or doe). After I get my first one then I get a little more selective.

BigDaddy12t 08-31-2006 06:37 PM

I dont really have a ton of deer around here, on the land where I hunt, especially big bruiser bucks. I shot my first bow buck last year after bow hunting for 5 years. It was a smaller 8 point, but it was a great deer for me. I just dont see many deer bigger deer than that around. I have held off on some smaller 6's and 8's tho. I really dont like to shoot anything whan it is really warm, but if I need the meat, I will shoot on opening day, or if I am happy with a buck that walks in front of me.;)I think it would all depend on the situation.

mudd_dawg 08-31-2006 06:44 PM

well since here in IL we can bow hunt from oct 1st to the second week of january except the 3 weekends of shotgun i will normally take a doe the first day just to get my meat.then since i dont shotgun hunt i wait till after the the first weekend of shotgun to really go after a big mature buck since no one shotgun hunts our land or the land around ours so i let the shotgun hunters scare all the big guys on to our land.Now with that said if a big ole buck steps in front of me opening day i won't waste a second to drop him and since we can take two bucks a year i will take one early and then wait for that big big really big one until the last day if i have to.last year i shot a real tall thick 9 pointer the 3rd of oct and never took another buck the rest of the year but did take two does

MOTOWNHONKEY 08-31-2006 06:59 PM

I won't kill nothing in my honey hole until I get a whack at a big buck. I don't even want them to know I am there. I just watch, vedio, and enjoy until the opportunity presents, if it presents. I do go to another area and get some doe meat for friends and family.

Fieldmouse 08-31-2006 07:17 PM

I hunt places I expect to see 1 to 2 dozen everytime out with in bow range. I won't shoot anything in those places unless it's huge. I have passed up bigger bucks then I've shot because I've seen huge. I have found that if you are very picky in such areas the deer never change patterns. If you go in and start killing the deer change. I do have areas that I don't expect the big boy to show and can shoot what I want. I just don't have time or care to hunt cat food right now.

rybohunter 08-31-2006 07:26 PM

I am all about does in the early season. I try to shoot them in the outskirt areas and save my good spots for later in the season going after nicer bucks. If I had a good idea of where a monster was hanging, and I had a good wind to set up on him, I might make a stab early in the year. But that is rare.

fuzzjocky2 08-31-2006 07:40 PM

I start the season looking for sika deer up until early muzzle loader season. Sika seem to disappear after that

uncballers45 08-31-2006 07:46 PM

well this is gunna be my first year bowhuntin so im prolly gunna take a doe. there are 2 does on my property and ive been seeing them out my window for the whole summer on an average of 2 times a day. also we dont have anyyyyyy bucks here. i think ive only seen one on my property and it was last year and a spike.

Dr Andy 08-31-2006 07:47 PM

I'd like to get a doe first for the meat and to get the jitters out of the way! Youjust never know when Bullwinkle shows up!

Tbyrnzy82 08-31-2006 07:48 PM

ORIGINAL: gzg38b

Where I hunt if it's a mature deer it's down (buck or doe). After I get my first one then I get a little more selective.
That's the one

Tim

Wolfpack 08-31-2006 08:03 PM

I would like to get some doe management in during Sept. and early Oct. around field edges or just inside the woods line. After that I try to settle down and movedeeper inside andwait till a good buck comes around. Well...at least that's usually the game plan anyway[8D]

KickerPoint79 08-31-2006 08:07 PM

ORIGINAL: Wolfpack

I would like to get some doe management in during Sept. and early Oct. around field edges or just inside the woods line. After that I try to settle down and movedeeper inside andwait till a good buck comes around. Well...at least that's usually the game plan anyway[8D]
Same here... I would like to get my does early and then get after
the big boy after that. However if he came by first,I would definitely
send an arrow his way without a second thought.

TEmbry 08-31-2006 08:14 PM

i dont go by if its brown its down...i go by if it walks its down! no im jk i wont ever shoot a smaller sized buck, im always holdin out for a big buck. As far as does, ill probably take the first one i see(for the meat) and from then on ill take big mature does.

Anthony T. 08-31-2006 08:21 PM

I can kill does any day in the ield behind the house. I go into the woods to get the big boy. Then near the end of season I might get a little less selective if I've seen no big bucks. I just like to be out there :D

Germ 08-31-2006 08:22 PM

The first day in the woods I just thank the good lord I am in my tree. I generally watch the critters, I find myself day dreaming and thinking about nothing, My mind is blank, it is truly a great feeling.

Well enough of that crap, because I am such a space cadet in the tree the first day. That last two year a nice bucks has walk by, with me in la la land. This year I am going to try and shoot this nice 8 on opening day, if I can keep my focus, LOL

I redeem myself last year I got the burger 16 days later.

dayna0306 08-31-2006 08:39 PM

I have been lucky though out the last 30 years and got a few ,so I only hunt for a number one in my book of buck . But I have not been able to pass on a new number 2 the last couple of years.see past potos. It's all in the size of your book and where you hunt. I would never shoot a doe out of one of my tree stands and polute the area. I take the young hunters out to harvest the does. good luck filling the book.

fun2hunt 08-31-2006 08:41 PM

Last year was my first year bow hunting and I took a young 6 point to break the ice. This year I will let the young one's walk and go for a doe or a big buck if he walks in front of me on the first day.

Raxxmaster 08-31-2006 09:29 PM

Hi all, I envy you first time hunters. I remember those days and the first kill. Good luck to you all. I also cut my teeth on a doe both my first bow and my first rifle kill. Now, I'm hoping for my first P&Y whitetail.

sandilands 08-31-2006 09:34 PM

You do whatever you want! Last year was my first bow season ever (shot targets for years) and I just wanted to get on the board. I took a small buck. I have much more confidence in my shooting ability and on thekilling powerof the bow. This year I will take a doe on a friends land and then will wait for a buck L8R in the season on the public land that I have huntedfor years. The best buck Ihave from the big woodswas a basket 4x4. Anything equal or bigger would bea trophy to me on that land. With rifle or MZloader its over 120" and its a shooter.
Hunt for yourself, if a doe is your first deer, than that is a trophy deer..... in my books.:) If everyone waited for the next 'Hansen Buck', 'Jordon Buck', or 'Old Mossy Horns' to walk out then there would be a severe population problem and more deer for me to shoot.

WakeCow 08-31-2006 10:56 PM

I'll take any size doe anytime until the tags are gone thats 4 total and I'll wait on a nice buck

kevin1 09-01-2006 05:15 AM

I look for good body mass , doe or buck , my freezer comes first since I meat hunt only . This year I'm also looking to take extra antlerless deer to help our DNR reduce their numbers , the local chapter of Farmers and Hunters Helping the Hungry is steering me toward a processor where I can donate field dressed carcasses for free . My goal is four or better .

2footroper 09-01-2006 05:30 AM

I will take a doe or two this year right away. I've seen only does on the property until the rut kicks in so I'm not worried about spooking any bucks. Time for a little managment this year.

GMMAT 09-01-2006 06:04 AM

My game plan is to hunt my honey hole opening day.....and hopefully catch one of the 8's or the 10 off-guard. If not.....I'll likely give it a rest for a couple of weeks.....and wait for the right wind.

I've got two more areas to hunt, this year......and I'm going to be a little selective in one of those areas. I'll wait a bit to see what the place is holding.....then I'll likely take a doe or two.

Third area.....is an area that a friend of mine and I have been asked to come and shoot deer. If we see them like I think we will......I'll probably take a doe or two from there.

I plan to shoot a buck and 2-3-4 does, this year. I also have access to 1,000 acres in VA that the same buddy is going to take me to......where they have an 8 point minimum (I knew the new Nikon's would be needed!). I've also got a co-worker with 40 acres in VA.....and he's seen a nice 10, there.

The only thing I need more of this year.....is time.

This is gonna be MY year. I hope it's yours, too.

Jeff

NCYankee 09-01-2006 06:06 AM

I'll shoot a mature doe from day one. Once I have meat in the freezer, I'll try for that elusive wallhanger!

njbuck22 09-01-2006 06:50 AM

Im going to be stacking does this fall like cotton wood. Holding out for one of the really nice bucks i have been seeing all summer.

Gadeerslayer 09-01-2006 06:56 AM

Guess I haven't a different outlook, but I try to get four to five does before I start looking for bucks...I like filling up my freezer before I worry about antlers. Don't get me wrong, I like to get me a big ol buck to hang on the wall, but them antlers are hard to cook and not very edible, unless you're a squirrel.

sprintflyer 09-01-2006 07:01 AM

Meat first then hunt horns

partsjay 09-01-2006 07:26 AM

looking for my 1st this year.....that being said...I'm taking what I can get...have a doe permit, so would love to get a doe...then go after my buck.

BROX 09-01-2006 07:46 AM

I go for a doe first.It's nice to get the first deer out of the way and in the freezer then you can sit back andrelax in your stand and watch as many deer as you want walk by until HE comes along........

burniegoeasily 09-01-2006 07:50 AM

The first best deer. If its a good buck, ill take it. If its a good doe, Ill take it. Most all years, i tag my does first. I have only tagged my bucks early a few years.