Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What do you go after for deer #1 of the year >

What do you go after for deer #1 of the year

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What do you go after for deer #1 of the year

Old 08-31-2006, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What do you go after for deer #1 of the year

I'd like to get a doe first for the meat and to get the jitters out of the way! Youjust never know when Bullwinkle shows up!
Old 08-31-2006, 07:48 PM

ORIGINAL: gzg38b

Where I hunt if it's a mature deer it's down (buck or doe). After I get my first one then I get a little more selective.
That's the one

Tim
Old 08-31-2006, 08:03 PM

I would like to get some doe management in during Sept. and early Oct. around field edges or just inside the woods line. After that I try to settle down and movedeeper inside andwait till a good buck comes around. Well...at least that's usually the game plan anyway[8D]
Old 08-31-2006, 08:07 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Wolfpack

I would like to get some doe management in during Sept. and early Oct. around field edges or just inside the woods line. After that I try to settle down and movedeeper inside andwait till a good buck comes around. Well...at least that's usually the game plan anyway[8D]
Same here... I would like to get my does early and then get after
the big boy after that. However if he came by first,I would definitely
send an arrow his way without a second thought.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:14 PM

i dont go by if its brown its down...i go by if it walks its down! no im jk i wont ever shoot a smaller sized buck, im always holdin out for a big buck. As far as does, ill probably take the first one i see(for the meat) and from then on ill take big mature does.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:21 PM
Typical Buck

I can kill does any day in the ield behind the house. I go into the woods to get the big boy. Then near the end of season I might get a little less selective if I've seen no big bucks. I just like to be out there
Old 08-31-2006, 08:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

The first day in the woods I just thank the good lord I am in my tree. I generally watch the critters, I find myself day dreaming and thinking about nothing, My mind is blank, it is truly a great feeling.

Well enough of that crap, because I am such a space cadet in the tree the first day. That last two year a nice bucks has walk by, with me in la la land. This year I am going to try and shoot this nice 8 on opening day, if I can keep my focus, LOL

I redeem myself last year I got the burger 16 days later.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:39 PM

I have been lucky though out the last 30 years and got a few ,so I only hunt for a number one in my book of buck . But I have not been able to pass on a new number 2 the last couple of years.see past potos. It's all in the size of your book and where you hunt. I would never shoot a doe out of one of my tree stands and polute the area. I take the young hunters out to harvest the does. good luck filling the book.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:41 PM
Typical Buck

Last year was my first year bow hunting and I took a young 6 point to break the ice. This year I will let the young one's walk and go for a doe or a big buck if he walks in front of me on the first day.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:29 PM
Fork Horn

Hi all, I envy you first time hunters. I remember those days and the first kill. Good luck to you all. I also cut my teeth on a doe both my first bow and my first rifle kill. Now, I'm hoping for my first P&Y whitetail.

Quick Reply: What do you go after for deer #1 of the year

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.