Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Soldiers son needs some help. >

Soldiers son needs some help.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Soldiers son needs some help.

Old 08-29-2006, 05:29 AM

Default Soldiers son needs some help.

HuntingNetgang,
I haven't posted much on the Bowhunting forum, but hangout on the Archer's Choice forum and thought I'd throw this over for your consideration.
I met a young man named Jesse Voss this spring. He was in 4H with my daughter and we actually purchased some livestock from his parents. He is 14 and his father was deployed to Iraq in April and will not return home until June 08 (other than a short leave sometime during the winter).
I hauled some livestock for his mom and helped fix a fence this weekend and found out Jesse is new to bowhunting and was very excited when he found out I bowhunted. Dad and Mom are very concerned for his safety and has not allowed him to hunt or shoot his bow with others, but knowing I am a policeman and outfitter to boot they have now given the ok to go hunt deer and elk with me.
He brought out his bow and the set up belongs in a museum, I believe Ishi may have hunted with it! All kidding aside, the bow is probably twice as old as he is and it was what was handed down. Mom bought him three arrows because that was all she could afford, he told me they could not afford an elk tag for him($14.oo) so he would only be able to hunt deer. They are saveing money from his father's overseas service sothey can set up aused double wide and get out of a trailer home that is in very poor shape.Jesse is doing a great job being the "man of the house" taking care of the animals and is one of those kids that is so very polite he has been a joy to be around, you will never hear him complain.
I had planned on buying my daughter a new bow this year, but two generous indidiuals that we all know, passed a very special bow onto her. I look at it this way, when good things happen toyou,you should try to pass it on. I believe I was at Ralph and Vicki's house on the right night at the right time for Secora (my daughter) to get a wonderful gift, and the reason it happened (in addition to their generosity) is so I can now help pass it along the same way.
I have a couple calls in and I am going to get him a new Hoyt bow. I have some goodies in the used but good shape hunting closet that can go on the bow. He virtually has no gear to speak of. I am just asking if you all could look in the old archery/hunting closet and see if you have an old release, stabalizer, camo gloves, hat, ANYTHING, etc???? that has not been used recently and is needing a good home, maybe we can get Jesse set up. I have made arraingements to buy him his elk tag and we should be bugleing elk in the next few weeks!Also Iwill be able to get him a mentoring tag this spring for spring bear hunting in Idaho so he will be able to go on that hunt with Secora and I.Any thoughts or goodiesthat you might have wouldbe HUGELY appreciated by a very hard working young man. Happy hunting, Casey
Old 08-29-2006, 06:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Soldiers son needs some help.

If he needs a sight PM me I make and market one.I will give you.

Thanks Jim.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:27 AM
Typical Buck

Will check the closet this eve and PM you with what I can send.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm sending a release.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:38 AM

Thanks everyone,
Here is some info that I posted on the other Archer's Choice Page!

Thanks everyone! My address is
Casey Richardson
17484 Remount Road
Missoula, Mt 59846
If you send something please inlcude a short note about yourself, where you live and a "I hope the ____ works really good for you" type of thing. Also, your return mailing address, as I know Jess well enough that he will want to send a thank you. As far as size goes (being a cop I get pretty good at guessing height and weight but waist size and inseam are a killer LOL!). I am guessing small adult or medium at the largest, but like I said I am sure mom will be glad to hem or make adjustments. Hunting will be early fall for bowhunting and I plan on also taking him November rifle hunting. Like I said, this young lad would be excited to get a camo t-shirt. Thanks again to you all! Happy hunting, Casey
Old 08-29-2006, 06:53 AM

Just got this email from Pat McKenna at Ameristep,

Hey Casey-

I will check when I get back home and I might have some clothing to send out to him. Beside that I will get out a safety harness for him (will an adult one fit him?) and a ground blind. I will also throw in a saw and a couple of other accessory items. Is there any other Ameristep equipment you would think he would need? Let me know. I hope everything else is going good.

Pat

I am lucky enought to be on the Ameristep prostaff so Pat and I are going to throw in a treestand too! Thanks Pat!!!
Old 08-29-2006, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a drop away rest (new, but can't remember the brand).

PM me if he needs it.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:00 AM

That would be great! Thanks, Casey
Old 08-29-2006, 08:32 AM
Fork Horn

What is the temp range you will be hunting in. I will plan on digging though my stuff and helping.
May god bless you, Cassy. He will bless you and all that helpmany time over for what you are doing.

that your kids hunting and you well not be hunting your kids
Old 08-29-2006, 08:34 AM
Fork Horn

Opps!!!!
Take your kids hunting and you will not be hunting your kids

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.