HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   generally speaking, how far will a deer run... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/153949-generally-speaking-how-far-will-deer-run.html)

saltflyz 08-28-2006 02:24 PM

generally speaking, how far will a deer run...

after a well placed shot to the vitals? For those of you veterans- I'm just trying to get a guage of how far most of your bow killed whitetails ran after the shot, assuming a good shot. Thanks for the help...

justhunt 08-28-2006 02:28 PM

RE: generally speaking, how far will a deer run...

Usually no more than 100 yards with a double lunger.

Fieldmouse 08-28-2006 02:30 PM

I've had them drop instantly, jump and go back to eating and I've had them run a few hundred yrds. It all depends.

GregH 08-28-2006 02:33 PM

Anywhere from.... watch them fall (cut the arteries off the top of the heart) t0 200 yards (single lung/liver).

Ohio Bowhunter75 08-28-2006 02:39 PM

I agree it is crazy how one deer won't make it feet,and the next may travel 100 yards or more on the same hit.I've had deer shot quartering away with full pass through shots run 100 yards and leave only a few drops of blood untill about 90 yards.The last 10 looked like buckets full of blood was dumped.

rybohunter 08-28-2006 02:56 PM

Generally they run until they die:D

Seriously though, 20-60 yards probably cover80% of my kills.

saulthunter 08-28-2006 05:22 PM

anywhere between 15&100

trt sniper 08-28-2006 05:36 PM

I've had a few drop on the spot that i shot straight through the top of the back that were directly under my stand.I would say between 30 and 75 yard for those that were broadside with a good shot through the vitals.

Alabama Slama 08-28-2006 05:55 PM

If you hit them in the spine the go down instantley but a double lounger will run no longer than 80 yards if not pushed and a heart shot a little less.

Windwalker7 08-28-2006 06:52 PM

In my experience, a good double lung/ heart shot, deer seldom go past 75 yards. Therewere a few that went past 100yards. Then again I've seen them drop with in 20 or 30 yds.

I've noticed that deer that are calm and relaxed, such as a feeding, they seem to go down much quicker than a deer that sees you or knows something is up, before you shoot. Must be the dose of adrenaline they got running through them at the time of the shot.

Liver shot deer will usually lay down quickly but won't die for quite a while. It is best to give them a few hours before tracking.I've seen livershots throw a good bit of blood making one thinkthe deer is down for good. Just give the liver shot some extra time.

Gut shot I'd let go all nite or all day depending on when the hit was made.