Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Tale of woe lost deer, help >

Tale of woe lost deer, help

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tale of woe lost deer, help

Old 08-27-2006, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tale of woe lost deer, help

Thats Bowhunting. Better to miss than make a bad hit. Sh*% happens to equipment. Better luck next time and be safe!
Old 08-28-2006, 06:33 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks again for real answers. By the way some seem to think from my post thatI was in a stand where you have a better ability to fix things in the heat of battle. I was on the ground standing face to face with the young lady at 10 yards or less.Bow fixed and on target and I am just wasying a few minutes before headding for the woods. Once again it is thick thick thick here in Oregon. Stands are uselessin most situations that I have found. At 15 feet up in a tree for the most part it would be hard to see the ground ten or twenty yards out without MAJOR pruning. Even then you can't see anywhere to see animals movingaround little less find a shooting lane.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would say you missed but honestly I would have gone home after hitting the treeon the first shotknowing I had some accuracy issues because of equipment problems. Thats just me, not saying its right or wrong Some people probably would have tried a few shots as well or tried to fix/compensate the problem right then and there
Old 08-28-2006, 09:49 AM

ORIGINAL: davidmil

I think you missed.
I agree. The only deer I've ever heard snort after a shot was a clean miss.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:18 AM
Typical Buck

I dont blame you I would have tried to fix the problem as quick as possible and tried to get another shot. As long as the deer where standing there i would have shot till I ran out of arrows.. Cant blame a man for that. If you could recover the last arrow you shot and it didnt have any blood on the fletches then it was more than likely a miss. I was hunting with a guy who shot at a deer and thought he missed, I said let me see you arrow, when I looked at the fletches I noticed a lil blood. I said man you hit that deer, he couldnt believe it. We never found it but there was blood on the arrow. None on the ground. I am thinking it was a flesh wound..
Old 08-28-2006, 01:02 PM
Dominant Buck

I would have switched modes to my buck knife. If that wasn't handy, I would have taken her down with my bare hands and bad breath. I may have farted on her for good measure.

You missed, better luck next time.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Dr Andy

The snorting or wheezing was a sure fire sign you didn't hit it. They do that to intimidate,usually right after stomping a front hoove, and again when running away. I've heard it many times in the spring while hunting for morels! Imess with them all the time I stomp my foot and snort back at em.
I really don't think deer ever do that to intimidate. I think they do that to warn other deer. But, I do agree, it probably is a sign that you missed.But...

No blood doesn't necessarily mean 'no hit'. I found no more then a drop or two of blood with 2 of my 9 bow kills. To other people that could have been 'no blood'. I just happened to find a little bit. Also, the buck i got gun hunting last year hardly bled at all for the first 100 yards. I hit the deer 3 times with slugs and All i found was a handfull of drops of blood! After about a hundred yards blood was everywhere! If the woods are as thick as you say they are could you not be on the trail of the doe? My guess is it's a little hard to track a deer in woods like that without blood.

If there WAS only a couple drops of blood in the first 100 yards do you think you would have found it? I guess I'm not as confident as everyone else that you missed. but, being that you would have missed the broadside of a barn on your first two shots, you probably missed on your third too.

Old 08-28-2006, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I still think that the sound that you heard was laughter.Just joking I'm saying clean miss.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:13 PM

ORIGINAL: davidmil

I think you missed.
YUP! If you'veshot 70 or so deer hard to believeyou never heard a deer blowing atyou before, which is what it sounds like that one was doing, just be glad she wasn't wounded and you didn't find her, I personally believe you missed bro.
Old 08-28-2006, 03:48 PM
Fork Horn

On a trip to Nebraska a few years ago I watched a buddy shoot a buck straight across an alfalfa field from me. It was a clean pass through and the deer ran to within 20 yards of me. He stopped and made two "snorts" prior to tipping over. I had never heard of this happening before and would have been skeptical if I had not seen it with my own eyes. The deer was hit in the lungs. I guess my pointis you shouldnever say never. It sounds like you did everything you could to search for the animal and that is what you owed her and yourself. Probably a miss. Best of luck with the rest of your season.

Quick Reply: Tale of woe lost deer, help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.