Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 both eyes open or not? >

both eyes open or not?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

both eyes open or not?

Old 08-26-2006, 09:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: both eyes open or not?

ORIGINAL: MO_Bowhnter
I have never been able to shoot with both open. Don't really know why but I just can't.
Yes! There is actually someone else out there like me.

I can't do both eyes open. Believe me I've tried.... I get all goofy when I try it. I see two sight pins or two targets, depending on how I focus.

There has to be a trick to it.... I just haven't figured it out yet. [:-]

Old 08-26-2006, 10:55 AM

Here's how to figure out your dominate eye. Make a circle with your hands and hold them out in front of you. Now look at something on the other side of the room. Close your left eye. If you can still see the object, you are right eye dominant. If you close your right eye and you can still see the object, your left eye is your domnant one.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I tried it and had double vision too. When you figure ou which is which(with one eye closed) then open both I can still shoot well but why bother.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

See good with both open but focus better with one on the pin. Mine gets goofy with both open too. All that matters is getting rrr done.

Nothing wrong with experimenting and I'd say the off season's pretty long so what else is there to do. Things just need to be given the right amount of time to see if it really helps. When you start anticipating the shot, which takes time after changing anything in a routine, and it's still better, it may actually be better. Until then your brain is not telling you to shoot and that's alwaysthe problem in the first place.IMO. We shoot well then worse, we change something and shoot well and then worse again, we change something... The brain is the only common denominator.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:57 AM
Fork Horn

I shoot pretty much the same both ways.

Old 08-26-2006, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

always have shot with both open
Old 08-26-2006, 07:50 PM

Are you using a peep sight ?
Old 08-26-2006, 08:28 PM

This is my first post here but a long time lurker. I started off shooting with my right eye(dominant). I was working with maybe 8 to 10 inch groups at 40 yds. I then beganshooting w/ both eyes open. Often, my vision was out of wack and everything was blurry or doubled. I then tried sighting in withright eye, and then opening both before I shot. The results turned out great and I'm now shooting a 2 inch group. I even got my first robinhood a few days ago. You get a better field of vision w/ both eyes open, and for me, I can line up the shot almost perfectly because I can see the arrow at full draw, and tell if my anchor point is off.

The wierd thing is,I can only shoot with my right eye when in a treestand. I tried both eyes and ended up with the messy groups.