Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Try this

Old 08-24-2006, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Try this

OK guys. Maybe some of you already do this but if not try it.

Next time you are shooting your bow, focus your eye on the target and not the sight pin.

We all know it is impossible to focus your eye on two things at once. I've always focused on the sight pin and had a somewhat blurry target picture.

I read in an old magazine about this. It also works with a scoped rifle.

For some reason, I shoot much tighter groups when focusing on the target and letting the sight pin be blurry. Don't know why it works but it does.

Give it a try and post back and let us know if you noticed a difference. Maybe it will, maybe not.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Try this

Have done it both ways and am currently doing the pin thing. Any time you change the routine your brain doesn't know when to panic so shooting is better until...

I find focusing on the target, panicking
Old 08-24-2006, 07:08 PM

I will do you one better, try using a small circle instead of a pin. Different personalities shoot better with different styles.

Pretty much with everything you shoot you should focus on the target though. You look at the sights line them up, then focus on the target. I actually don't have any trouble seeing both pretty clear though.

Paul
Old 08-24-2006, 08:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Windwalker, you just discovered the way you should shoot. Your suppose to concentrate on the target making the pin secondary and use back tension.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Kind of tried that tonight Paul. Removed the site and just looked through the peep. Didn't try to compensate after seeing where the arrows went. Maintained form. The only good thing about it was they all went left of the target. I mean left of the whole thing. Some high some low. Good thing I was shooting down from the stand. Didn't loose any.If I do loose my site I know where the arrows will go.Need to figure out why they did.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:48 PM
Fork Horn

The Field& Stream Bowhunting handbook claims that focussing on the pin will lead to better accuracy. Personally, I think it's just a personal preference thing.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:31 AM

the field and stream handbook is extremely mistaken. the spot your aiming at is where your conscious should be.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:39 AM

As someone who shoots peep sights on rifles and iron sights on rifle and pistol as well as shooting a bow I have to say that is pretty standard for aiming technique. It was the way I was taught by my father (a Mil team shooter and instructor) to shoot target rifle. It works. Find your pin and drift your focus onto the target. Tighter groups and better accuracy.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:32 AM
Typical Buck

I guess I have never used the pin...just doesn't make sense to me to concentrate on the pin instead of on what you are trying to hit? because if the deer is fuzzy, how do you know its the vitals you are aiming at when the whole deer is the same color? (bodywise)
Old 08-25-2006, 06:52 AM

You still need a front sight nodog. But some target sights have a front apeture instead of a pin. It gives you a small hole to look thru. You center your target in the hole instead of placing the pin over it. For some people it is much easier to use, helps with target panic if you have trouble putting the pin on the target.

It works great for shooting spots, not so sure how well it would work for hunting though, but I'm sure it could be done.

Paul

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.