HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Not w/ a bow. WOW! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/153284-not-w-bow-wow.html)

RattleSnake1 08-23-2006 10:37 PM

Not w/ a bow. WOW!

The downloaded pictures are of a man who works for the US Forest Service in Alaska and his trophy bear (killed in self defense).

He was out deer hunting last week when a large grizzly bear charged him from about 50 yards away. The guy emptied his 7mm Magnum semi-automatic rifle into the bear and it dropped a few feet from him. The big bear was still alive so he reloaded and shot it several times in the head.

The bear was just over one thousand six hundred pounds. It stood 12' 6" high at the shoulder, 14' to the top of his head. It's the largest grizzly bear ever recorded in the world.
[/align]

Of course, the Alaska Fish and Wildlife Commission did not let him keep it as a trophy, but the bear will be stuffed and mounted, and placed on display at the Anchorage airport to remind tourists of the risks involved when in the wild.
[/align]

Based on the contents of the bears stomach, the Fish and Wildlife Commission established the bear had killed at least two humans in the past 72 hours including a missing hiker
[/align]

The US Forest Service, backtracking from where the bear had originated, found the hiker's 38-caliber pistol emptied. Not far from the pistol were the remains of the hiker. The other body has not been found.
[/align]

Although the hiker fired six shots and managed to hit the grizzly with four shots (the Service ultimately found four 38 caliber slugs along with twelve 7mm slugs inside the bear's dead body), it only wounded the bear and probably angered it immensely.
[/align]

The bear killed the hiker an estimated two days prior to the bear's own death by the gun of the Forest Service worker.
[/align]

Think about this:
If you are an average size man; You would be level with the bear's navel when he stood upright. The bear would look you in the eye when it walked on all fours! To give additional perspective, consider that this particular bear, standing on its hind legs, could walk up to an average single story house and look over the roof, or walk up to a two story house and look in the bedroom windows.

[/align]That is one huge bear! I received this in an email today..thought it was interesting.
[/align]

MASTERDIVER 08-23-2006 10:40 PM

RE: Not w/ a bow. WOW!

This was over 5yrs ago or was it 3yrs. Anyway, old news but thanks for the post. Cool pix.

farmcntry 08-23-2006 10:41 PM

I saw this a couple years ago.

MO_Bowhnter 08-23-2006 10:45 PM

I also saw it a couple years ago complete with pics of the half eaten hiker.[&:]

Washington Hunter 08-23-2006 10:46 PM

This is at least three years old.

Seems they seem to surface every year with a new story.

RattleSnake1 08-23-2006 10:51 PM

I thought the pics looked familiar. I couldn't put my finger on it though. Sorry for the old news guys.

Greg / MO 08-23-2006 11:06 PM

Nah, don't be sorry... I had never seen it. Cool stuff.

NC_DeerDropper 08-24-2006 02:18 AM

Goddog man, that thing is huge...but yea i've seen this before, and the guy he ate with his leg all torn up...just got reminded never go to alaska with nothin short of a BAZOOKA!;):D

Buck_Slayer 08-24-2006 04:26 AM

I remember seeing those pics when they first started floating around. That is crazy..his paw could knock your head clear off

Finch 08-24-2006 05:51 AM

Yeah I've seen it before and you will see someone else post the same thing on down the road. No worries though bro b/c some of us do the same thing.:)

Someone will let ya know.;)

Diesel77 08-24-2006 06:20 AM

Yeah thats old but no need for appologies.

DaveH 08-24-2006 09:36 AM

Over the last 5 years, I've probably received this e-mail 15 - 20 times, usually with the half-eaten hiker. This bear pic first showed up on HNI and the story is not the same as the one that accompanies the e-mail. The half-eaten hiker pic bears no relationship to the bear at all -- it was just attached over the years as the story evolved. The true scoop can be found on snopes.

Davoh 08-24-2006 09:48 AM

Dang it daveh you beat me to the punch.... [8D]

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/bearhunt.asp

10'6" tall(still big enought make me crap my pants...)
1000-1200 lbs. (again... still big enough)
6 shots from a .338 win mag, including one to the head(brain)
6 hours to skin...

as Daveh said, the human remains pic had nothing to do with it...

still a cool story, though....

Rob/PA Bowyer 08-24-2006 10:12 AM

Yup, a lot of years ago for that one and the half eaten human was attached with the rest of the photos in the emails and had nothing to do with the actual bear and I'm not sure the whole human issue wasn't added later too. Most of what you read behind that story is false and embellished as the story was passed around. I hardly remember the truth behind it at all anymore.