Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 We are getting a CABELAS >

We are getting a CABELAS

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

We are getting a CABELAS

Old 08-23-2006, 10:17 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: We are getting a CABELAS

Cool that will be a lot of fun. We just had a bass pro put in here this year. I've already been there 4 times.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:22 PM

I like Cabelas so much better than Bass Pro. They have a bigger selection and they usually have huge sales that Bass Pro never has. Those of you from St. Louis, where exactly are you? I used to live in Chesterfield.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just outside of Florissant.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Waterloo, I'm on the right side of the river..
Old 08-24-2006, 06:24 AM

I wish we had a Cabela's nearby. I've got a Bass Pro about 35 miles away. It was put in a commercial area to begin with, and since it's gone in they've redone some of the roads around it so I don't see that it really hurts traffic all that much. A buddy lives less than 5 miles away, so I'm there pretty frequently. At least from the catalogs, I think Cabela's has a better selection, and from stuff I've bought I think their "store brand" stuff is better quality than Bass Pro's.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:36 AM

ORIGINAL: RackLuster

This is not a good thing people. we joke, but it's really not.
I can't agree with you more. If you think about it, Cabelas is contributing the downfall of the sport and lifestyle they rely on to operate. They build one about 15 miles from my house, in a small farming community. It was a nice small town, full of farms right outside the city limits. Now that cabelas is there the farms are gone and Hotels and restuarants sit where people's gun blinds once were. It used to be just Cabelas sitting in the middle of this huge field, now it looks like a major mall in a big city. Between Walmart and Cabelas we'll be lucky to have any land left in the next 100 years.

Also after living so close for so long I realize three things 1.) Their prices are too high 2.) their selection sucks, they often tell me I should go to the local small archery store to get what I need because they don't stock what I want 3.) They pay their employees slave wages, which doesn't really help the community they build in. Honestly a good friend of mine works there and he can barely afford to shop there. The town was really happy that they "created" all these jobs, but the reality is the jobs don't pay squat so it doesn't help crap. Not to mention the other 1,000 $5.00 an hour jobs they created because of all the hotels, restraunts, gas stations, and candy stores that popped up around it.

Don't get me started.