Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Cheap digital scouting cameras >

Cheap digital scouting cameras

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Cheap digital scouting cameras

Old 08-21-2006, 03:49 PM
Spike

Default Cheap digital scouting cameras

Does anyone have any experience with some of the cheap digital scouting cameras out there - i.e. under $125. Cabelas has a Wildview 2.0 megapixel, 16MB camera in their catalog for $89.99 after rebate. I know it won't store many pictures and the quality will not be that great but quite honestly I don't care. I'm simply looking for a basic idea of what type of deer are around my stands. I know the other factor could be how fast it goes through batteries. I'm not ready to spend $250 or so for one, so this would be a good buy for me, bt I also don't want to waste my money if it's unuseable in some way. Any thoughts are apprciated. Thanks.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cheap digital scouting cameras

I've heard nothing but bad things about the Wildview cams. No personal experiences though.

I just picked up a Moultrie GameSpy 1.3 mp cam at Bass Pro this weekend so I'll let you know how it works out. It definitely has a slow trigger speed so I set it up facing directly down a trail versus adjacent to it. This way it has more time to trigger and actually get a photo before the deer is out of the picture. I would also imagine it would work fairly well on a scrape or food plot but definitely not for trail monitoring.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

nbadger23, I have the wildview you are talking about and its great, If you buy a SB card that goes in the camera for $11.00 you can take up to 350 photos. The pics are great to the only complant i have is the battreies only last about two weeks it takes 4 c cell but that not to bad either. I would buy it again in a second!!! Walt
Old 08-21-2006, 05:32 PM

You can save a bundle by buying a lower megapixel camera such as the moultrie mentioned. Who needs lots of megapixels? You can see all you need to see with just a few and it don't take up nearly as big a memory card for the same amount of pictures.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:07 PM

I have a wildview and have no complaints as of yet. I hate to put out a lot of cash and someone steel it! I donated alot of tree stands already!!
Old 08-21-2006, 06:30 PM
Dominant Buck

Let us know how the work Justin. When they start construction on my house I thought I'd hide a couple around in case I have some criminal elements try to make off or vandalize it. Thought I'd stack some of the trees I cut down in strategic locations and hide the things
Old 08-21-2006, 08:33 PM

I also bought the 2.0 Wildview camera at Cabelas. It would not work with the SD card installed so I took it back and exchanged it for another one which seems to work fine. I tested the camera in the backyard at dark and the pictures are fine.

You can buy SD cards cheap, rechargeable batteriesfor around $20. I will have 4 of these cameras in the woods with 2 SD cards for each camera, and charged batteries at all times for around $500. Granted, you get what you pay for. These cameras are cheaply made, but if they last in the elements and snap decent photos, I will be sold.

Hope to post some pixs soon!!
Old 08-21-2006, 08:43 PM
Spike

I purchased the moultrie 1.3 mp last summer and a couple of weeks later i purchased 2 more, this year I picked up the 2.1 mp.
for the money you can't go wrong. battery last up to 6 weeks in summer.
and up to 3 weeks in winter, for me anyway.
I have some great pics, some missed shots, and blurry pics as well.
continuous use thru all wheather for 4 months out of the year.
over all no complaints,
Old 08-21-2006, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is a picture from the Wildview Extreme II As you can see it is a pretty good camera for the money. I have had plenty of pics and hardly any bad exposures. The only thing about it that I dont like is the delay in the shutter. (about five seconds) That is easily overcome by placing it in an area that will keep the deer in front of it for that long. Point it north to help with overexposures and false triggers.
Also check out www.chasinggame.com for reviews of other cameras.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:59 PM
Typical Buck

I'm trying out one of the Moultrie 2.1's this year, and I have no complaints as of yet. The pics seem pretty clear, and as long as you point it down the trail, it will catch whatever is there.

Quick Reply: Cheap digital scouting cameras

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.