Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Low Acorn Crop

Old 08-21-2006, 10:00 PM

Default RE: Low Acorn Crop

I definitely agree with Mobow and David.Toomany acorns make it hard to pinpoint where the deer are gonna feed.
If you want acorns on your property, plant Saltooth(sp?) acorn trees. They can produce acorns after only 3 years. We have some on our property and the acorns are the size of golf balls and the deer love them.
Luckily, we have tons of white oaks too. When the white acorns are falling, it literally sounds like its raining acorns.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:27 PM

We've had big-fat acorns falling from the red oaks for two weeks here in MA! The tree just off my back deck normally drops little bitty ones, these are already fat and bulbous! But still green.

Haven't had the chance to check any Whites of any size yet. I hope to do that this weekend.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wisconsin is very very very low on acrons as well this year, but hey im not changing anythign. just put our more apples till they are gone. then hunt the ccornfields and hay fields.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:37 AM
Fork Horn

Yeah here in Minnesota we have a ton of acorn this year too and I wished there weren't so many because it actually makes it hard to hunt. What I would do if I were you is look for a tree or twothat does have acorns if you can find that then your going to have a ton deer coming to those trees.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:38 PM

My scouting here in NJ shows the usual good signs of plenty of acorns already on the ground and a huge amount still up in the trees. Should be another busy year!