Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Critique my form >

Critique my form

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Critique my form

Old 08-20-2006, 07:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Critique my form

which reflex or hoyt is that?
Old 08-20-2006, 07:27 PM

I agree with the fact that the arrow is out of whack. I would guess the nock is simply low. However, every hoyt I have ever owned wanted the nock below level.

In my opinion your head is out of position. It looks to me like you are shoving your head forward to get it to the string. It's hard to see from this angle but I would guess you are also leaning your head forward. Before drawing you want to shove your head backwards ever so slightly. This puts the head above the spinal column, this puts everything in position for proper form and easier back tension.

The effect of this is great.
1. longer draw length
2. It will bring the elbow back and in
- Also makes back tension easier

It would help if you could post pics from other angles. Especially the back
Old 08-20-2006, 07:28 PM

The bow was tuned pretty well at the pro shop but I paper tuned it and made some minor adjustments to the rest so it was shooting "bullet holes" in the paper from 6', 12', and 20'. While shooting several times from 30 yards I noted that the arrow flight was excellent--like a dart, and couldn't detect any fishtailing.

To reinterate what I said in the other posting, my "sight window" has been limited to what you see in the picture below.

In an attempt to correct this problem, I tried raising the nock and rest and then did my paper tuning and got it shooting bullet holes again. And yes, this time I adjusted the rest so it is well above the rest mounting holes (about 1" higher). When I shot the bow again, these changes actually caused me to have to raise the sight even further (which I did not do because obviously that only made the problem worse).

As far as the upward launch angle of the arrow, in looking at my bow, I can see that the cable guard is indeed NOT quite perpindicular to the string causing the perception of the upward launch angle as Dr Andy mentioned. And as I said, I'm finely tuned on paper.

Based on comments on this and the other posting, I'm guessing that I should lower the rest down to the level of the rest mounting holes and then adjust the nock in order to get bullet holes in paper again. And then I wonder if I need to lower my peep and raise my anchor higher on my face.

But you guys are the experts...what is your advice at this point?

Edit: to answer the question, I'm using a Reflex Excursion. Hang on and I'll go get pictures from other positions and post them too.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:54 PM

Hopefully these angles will help.

Old 08-20-2006, 08:08 PM
Fork Horn

your anchor point may be a little low this lowers your sight window
Old 08-20-2006, 11:50 PM

the thing about form with shooting is overated in my oppinion. with hunting that is. let me explain before everyone jumps me for this statement. with hunting how many times are you going to be able to have perfect form in a treestand? the most important things to do everytime is to make sure your anchor point is at the same place everytime. a kisser button is a good tool for this. also know your range. everyone has to perfect their own technique. i dont worry about how my feet are placed or stuff like that. i have been bow hunting for 20 years and i have learned alot over the years through trial and error. now i can group a baseball size group up to 50 yards but i dont have perfect form. i have just figured out how to shoot with my own technique.