Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scent Control

Old 08-18-2006, 09:06 PM
Typical Buck

Default Scent Control

What do all of you do to try to eliminate your scent while you are out hunting.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:02 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Scent Control

I try to be as slow as possible to eliminate sweating to the stand.I usually dont completely dress untilI get to the stand. ( coat ) I also spray down with a scent eliminating spray, before and during the hunt and I hang my stands about 20 to 25 ft, playing the wind is the biggest thing. I think you could go in your work clothes if you just used the wind but thats impossible sometimes. Im still learning new things every yr.
Old 08-19-2006, 11:43 AM
Dominant Buck

Watch the wind and have it in your face , nothing is more effective than that . Gimmicks won't save you from a whitetail .
Old 08-19-2006, 12:25 PM
Typical Buck

SENTLOC
Old 08-19-2006, 01:36 PM
Typical Buck

I know wind is the biggest factor. I am talking scent control though. To try and eliminate your human odor as much you can.

Does anybody walk way out of their way to get to the stand so they don't end up crossing a deer trail?
Wear boots that don't breathe so you don't leave a scent behind, special care of clothing, dress outside the pickup/vehicle so you don't pickip foriegn odors on your way out to the stand..anything like that. I think I am going to be very cautious of my scent this year.
In the past, I have gotten dressed. went out sprayed down with some scent eliminator spray and tried to play the wind best I could.
This year I am planning on getting a scent-block jacket and pants,,the laundry detergent pretty much the whole deal. Then when I drive out to the stand. Just wear a regular t-shirt and some sweats that have been washed in scent eliminating detergent..take my clothes out in an airtight container and get dressed outside of the vehicle. After that I will try the best I can to not cross any trails that a deer would encounter on the way to my stand. Even if I do have to go a ways out of the way to get there.
Old 08-19-2006, 01:39 PM
Fork Horn

I shower before every session in the woods. Keep wind in my face and continously keep wind in my favor thru out the hunt and exit. I also use scent eliminating sprays and use the gel in the tree to touch up after the walk in. I also never wear my clothing to and from my stand and keep them in a scent free bag or container. Also keep them washed.

Jason
Old 08-19-2006, 02:04 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Buck_Slayer

I know wind is the biggest factor. I am talking scent control though. To try and eliminate your human odor as much you can.
Since that isn't clinically possible I quit worrying abgout it .
Using baking soda in the rinse cycleand spraying down with scent killer is about the best you can do . Anything else is wishful thinking or a waste of money .
Old 08-19-2006, 03:02 PM
Typical Buck

So do you think that the Scent Lok Camo is just a wast of money? How can they make the claims if it doesnt actually do what they say it does?

I am not trying to get into an argument over anything with anybody, just trying to get a bunch of opinions before I go out and spend my hard earned money.
Old 08-19-2006, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wash your clothes in baking soda.Drip dry outside.
Go out and cut some small cedar branches.Place them along with hunting clothes and boots in large construction bag.When done hunting put em back in bag = scent free(human) = natural scent = el cheapo = it works!

Want to kick it up a notch.Buy bag or 2 of apples(Mcintosh(sp) my favorite)Crush one on ground and rub into boots.Rub 1-2 on tree stand as great cover scent.

BTW - Ive had every game animal and rodent follow the apple scent to stand.
Old 08-19-2006, 03:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just saw an ad from Cabela's with Chuck Adams wearing some very nice silent weave, dare I say,

scent lok gear. Heeheehee

I do many things. First prepare my gear to remain as scent free as I've gotten it so that when I'm done getting myself that way I don't start contaminating it. Before I put on my clothes I spray parts of myself with Hoggs Vanishing hunter. I will cover my truck seat with something that I've used a scent control procedure on if I'm going some where. At home I finish dressing outside, first spraying my hands with vanishing Hunter, which includes scent eliminating clothing prepared per manufactures instructions (head and hands as well). If it's cold I wear 2 layers of same. The clothes underneath are micro bacterial and moisture wicking in multiple layers. Boots vary even to moccasins (I know, I know) they are left outside and sprayed before going to stand. I love them. All gear has been outside for some time and none of it is ever in the house. Some of it is locked up in a secure room outside.When I get to my stand sites I climb up and spray all exposed skin again even my mouth and settle in, pre no dosed up.I also do as much as possible to leave none of me behind. I will if possible use something that stinks around my stand to further cover my own.

Away from home I do the best I can to follow the same.

Tired just thinking about it.

Quick Reply: Scent Control

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.