Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 shot distance formula? >

shot distance formula?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

shot distance formula?

Old 08-16-2006, 06:23 PM

Default shot distance formula?

I hang my stand at 25' off the ground, so what is the actual shot pin that I would use at say 10 or 20 yards? I know that gravity has less downward force on an arrow coming out of the stand, so 20 yrds from the tree , at the ground, is actually what distance from the stand height..18yrds?...16 yrds?...Is there a formula???
Old 08-16-2006, 06:32 PM
Spike

Default RE: shot distance formula?

The only thing you can do is practice and practice some more. Bend at the hips and you won't have to aim as low.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yes there is a formula, it's called the Pythagorean Theory, however it comes down to a yard or so at the most so your pins are still dead. Shoot for the actual distance from your stand to the deer, not the angle distance, do not aim low, do not compensate for stand height...bend at the waist and shoot the horizontal distance.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

Ok heres the way I have been told by oldtimers years ago. I still use this today. For every 3ft I climb in a tree you add 1 yard to your shot. So if your 15ft in a tree you should add 5 yards to your shot. You never shoot low if you use that formula. Some may say Im nuts but give it a try. Works for me...
Old 08-16-2006, 06:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Arrowmaster, there is no way in heaven I would ever use that theory. If I'm 25 feet in a tree, you would have me adding 8 yards to my shot, if I bend at the waist I'd send an arrow over a bucks back...why would I want to do that...

If I am 21 feet in a tree and a buck is 30 yards out angle distance,(rangefinder) you'd have me adding 7 yards when in reality the buck is 29.17 not 37 yards...????
Old 08-16-2006, 06:49 PM

I just shoot like I normally would. Of course, you should still practice but I agree with Rob. It worked 3 out of 3 times for me last season. Shoot the actual distance from you to the target.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

For my ladder stands I always premeasure the distance from the base of the tree to different locations. That is the actual distance across the ground. For my climber I just judge the distances out infront of me by using trees. Then once I figure out how far a tree is from me (at 20 ft in the air) I follow the tree to the ground and shoot the deer. Remember to bend at the waist...keeping your upper body the same....and aim where you want to hit.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

What Rob said.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

Rob/PA I was just expressing what I was told many years ago. Yes I still use it to date. I know people think thats nuts. I shoot this way. I can say every deer that Ive killed with my bow Ive used this strategy. Right now I have 22 bow kills. It has paid off for me. hehehehe maybe Im a bad judge of distances from the tree. But I do try to use my distances like PA Bow. My buddy and myself had this same disagreement. He shoots it different than I do. I can say I did try it his way this past year and I shot right under the buck. I kicked myself in the butt for trying the way he told me. I guess its stick to what you shoot best. Anyway thats just what the oldtimers told me...
Old 08-16-2006, 08:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm not doubting it might work for you for what ever reason, I just wouldn't pass that on to anyone else... I can't see how it's working unless your changing your form drastically...

Are you bending at the waist or just dropping your bow arm drastically?

Quick Reply: shot distance formula?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.