Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Scentlok / Scent Blocker Yay or Nay? >

Scentlok / Scent Blocker Yay or Nay?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
57.41%
No
42.59%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Scentlok / Scent Blocker Yay or Nay?

Old 08-17-2006, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scentlok / Scent Blocker Yay or Nay?

I'll pass on scent blocker stuff. I spend my money on "spray on scent eliminators", properly preparing and storing my clothes, and hunting the wind, its your best weapon for bow hunting deer, elk, moose, bear, sheep, mulies, etc ..............
Old 08-17-2006, 06:50 AM
Typical Buck

I've heard Scent-Lok actually owned the technology that both they and Scent Blocker use. I've had both and they both seemed to work. Do you need them? Absolutely not. We've just been killing animals with bows for how many thousands of years? Do they work? Yes. They absolutely do. If they didn't, do you really think they would be so popular? Yeah, right. They suck and don't work and that's why they sell so much. No, if they didn't work they wouldn't sell. I own a suit and will buy again and so will the people I personally know who own one. Do I still hunt without it? Yes, especially in warmer weather which we've had quite a bit of the last 2 seasons. The only 2 draw backs, IMO, are the cost and they are not good for warm weather. No big deal, I hunted just fine before the suit and don't feel I NEED one to hunt now. But it doesn't hurt to have one if you've got the money. Its kind of like 'do you need that new bow or stick with the bear whitetail'. No, you can do just fine without one but if you've got the money and inclination its not too bad. I've had deer converge on me from every direction and not bust me. Old does and bucks. I've seen how the deer reacted with the suit and I've seen how they do without it. Ditto the guys I know with suits.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:54 PM

I have read a ton of info (good & bad) on this type of clothing & I just don't know if it is worth the money. Maybe some day I will give some a try.

Old 08-17-2006, 01:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

There's no doubt that playing the wind is your best opportunity but I still feel that Scentloc and Scentblocker has some merit even if it's mental. However even with Scentloc or Scentblocker the wind still has to be correct. There is no such thing as eliminating 100% of human odor, my goal is only to get the remaining odor down to an acceptable level and appear farther away than I actually am...it may be a difference of a deer blowing and going and one that actually just relaxes and leaves the area normally.

AND, a Scentloc or Scentblocker outfit is only as good as the head covering because I feel our biggest flaw is our hair and our breath.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:07 PM

I believe that if my scentlok gives me even the slightest edge it has done its job. I dont believe that you should use it as a crutch or an excuse to not hunt the wind, the suit is not perfect and in a perfect world i would rather haveall my scent blowing away from a deers nose rather then having a fraction of it blow towards it. That being said i consider my scentlok suit a vital tool in my arsenal and will not begetting rid of it anytime soon.
Old 08-17-2006, 02:02 PM
Fork Horn

You also gotta remember that deer don't always take the path you expect them tooand you never know when one might show up downwind from you.It's happened to me,I'm sure it's happened to you,and you see it all over TV.Thats another reason to use it even when hunting the wind.You really never know whats on the deer's mind and can never garantee the path they'll take.
Just my thoughts.
JE
Old 08-17-2006, 02:32 PM
Fork Horn

All in all, there is nothing that is 100%. I guess that is why it is still a challenge. Even if you do hunt with the wind, like bamahuntin said the deeroften seem to outsmart you. But I like what jonnyslim said, any edge is worth the money. Whitetail deer are smart. I am always looking for that "edge". I like to try new stuff too. Some people seems to be so stuck in their ways that they laugh or look down on people like me but I don't care. If it helps me bring home the bacon and have a good time doing it, I'm the one laughing all the way to the taxidermist.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:03 PM

I use a Sentblocker suit and believe in its merits. But like has been said before, it is not a substitute for normal scent control and hunting the wind. Many users forget that the outside of the suits are basically the same as other clothing, and it needs to be cared for in the usual manners. the Scentloc and Scentblockers are designed to absorb human oders being produced during our hunts. they also will absorb other oders coming from our body's and under garments. TheyWILL get "full" and need re-activating (emptying) so as to absorb oders again. Therfore, if you don't shower, don't wash your undergarments; you're gonna fill up and limit the usefulness of the Scentloc/Scentblocker suits.ALSO, you must care for the exterior of the suit as you would any other clothing items. The scent absorbtion carbon is in the interior of the product so the exterior can't and won't stop any oder. AND, any oders getting on the exterior will be there until it is washed, scent suppresent sprayed, wears away.

I figureit this way. I don't have a lot of time to hunt right now, so i have to make the best of each and every chanceI get. I try to hunt all day when i get a chance. Regular clothes will begin to emitt body oders as soon as they begin being produced (very quickly in warm weather and fairly quickly in cooler weather). If 4-5 hours in to a hunt, I am stinking like a dog, any deer downwind is gonna spook. If i use the Scentblocker suit, it should contain a couple of hunts (manufacturers instructions) before needing to be re-activated. This should give me the best opportunity to hunt the thick spots i do without having to be overly worried about my wondering deer.

Like Rob said though, your head is your worst ememy. If you do use a suit,you still need to be concerned with your gear, (bow handles, release straps, daypacks etc.) I'll quit now.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey treehunter myresponse seems clear enough. JUNK ie waste of money. Don't buy it, leave it on the shelves. Send a clear message that we wont be duped into believing in stuff like that. I could get scientific about it but what would that accomplish. lets just leave it as already stated. Leave it on the shelves!
Old 08-17-2006, 05:59 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: nodog

Hey treehunter myresponse seems clear enough. JUNK ie waste of money. Don't buy it, leave it on the shelves. Send a clear message that we wont be duped into believing in stuff like that. I could get scientific about it but what would that accomplish. lets just leave it as already stated. Leave it on the shelves!
Sorry, I wasn't trying to sound like a dick. I guess it just came off that way. All I was trying to say is giving me reasons it is good or bad really help in making informative decisions.

Quick Reply: Scentlok / Scent Blocker Yay or Nay?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.