Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Acorns galore !

Old 08-15-2006, 12:24 PM

Default Acorns galore !

Went to my hunting property in north central Missouri this morning to do a final check on things before Sept. 15 and noticed my pin oaks and burr oaks are loaded with acorns. Also despite the 100 degree temps we've had recently here in MO the beans and corn also look great. The farmers and wildlife should be happy come fall. Anyone else seeing good mast production on their trees ? Antler Addict
Old 08-15-2006, 12:40 PM

Default RE: Acorns galore !

Red Oaks are LOADED with FAT acorns right now here in MA. Haven't had a chance to check out any white oaks in the area though.

Old 08-15-2006, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

oh yea. Had some drop from a heavy wind last week. looking good for acorns that arnt fully mature. Should be a great year to hunt the oaks good thing i found a little patch of them this winter that no one on my lease knows about
Old 08-15-2006, 03:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

The Red Oaks are loaded this year in SE Pa but I'm still not sure about the White Oaks either.
Old 08-15-2006, 04:30 PM

I haven't really checked here in the central part of the state....Sure hope it's not like last year..
Old 08-15-2006, 04:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Me too mobow... so many darn acorns it was tough to pattern anything. Heck, they could get up out of their bed, take two steps, fill up, and lay back down!! [:@]
Old 08-15-2006, 05:49 PM
Fork Horn

I noticed a few weeks ago A LOT of small acorns on the white oaks. I haven't been back since all big storms blew through. I'm hoping that a bunch got blown off before they mature. Last years acorn harvest was rediculous.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:25 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah it's never good when the oaks are loaded unless you can find one particular area where they are feeding and the lilttle nuts.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, bradford county pa is loaded to at least on the red oaks. The loggers finished making roads last week and hopefully start cutting next week. This will get a lot of the mast producing oaks out of there and will hopefully allow the critters to focus on my foodplots and the tree tops.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:36 PM
Typical Buck

Theyre packed in Va also. Good for me because back in the mountains I hunt the oaks are in spaced out groves, about 2 trees in a spot scattered out in pretty good spaces. About the only food they get way back there. and the creek where they drink. When I go find some beds I'll have it whipped.

Quick Reply: Acorns galore !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.