Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I lost some PRIME land yesterday. What should I do? >

I lost some PRIME land yesterday. What should I do?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I lost some PRIME land yesterday. What should I do?

Old 08-12-2006, 07:01 PM

Default I lost some PRIME land yesterday. What should I do?

I need you help. Yesterday I recieved a call from the lady who owns the 250 acres I have hunted the last 3 bow seasons. She and her late husband owned the land. Before he passed, he left it was fair to give parts of the property to family. Everyyear I gained permission to hunt he made sure with the family. Last Nov. 12, I shot a nice buck on this land. On the way out to get my dad, I met up with a gentleman who was dropping off rocks to fill in for two track which is leading to his new cabin he is building He and his 2 boys were both gracious to drive their small bobcat frontend loader back and carry my buck to my truck. It never seemed like any proplems and I thought everything was ok. He mentioned that he would give me new key to the gate he was putting up.

The problem now is when I was talking to her on the phone yesterday she said he gave her a comment that she needs to check in with her. She made it clear hes not a bad guy and that hes nice. He seemed nice to me too. When I told her I talked to him last year and that he told me about the key situation she was suprised. She said give her 2 weeks and if I don't hear from her then to leave things be. I'm am really sick.

What I think is, he might be nervouse about us hunting too close to his new cabin which is very close to where I shot my deer from. Like I mentioned he seen where I shot it at. I don't gun hunt. Just archery. I think that when he knows that we are only down there for 2 weeks in Nov and just bow hunt (not gun) things might be ok.

My question for my fellow HuntingNet. memebers is should I write him a letter and approach him that way? Any ideas that may help me regain this hot spot would be appreciated.

By the way my buck last year was my 1st P&Y buck. It was a 10 pt that grossed 134 5/8 and netted 128 7/8".

Thanks......James D.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:13 PM

Default RE: I lost some PRIME land yesterday. What should I do?

It is hard to follow by your writing...........who is the problem?? The guy or the lady? The guy sounds like he might be cool with you so go talk to him face to face. He will remember you............a letter may never get read for a number of reasons.

Just hope someone else didn't offer him money.

Remember, he owes you nothing and it is his land...........he pays the taxes, it is his cabin and he can pretty much do whatever he wants. I hope it works out for you but in the end the decision is his and there is really nothing you can do but be nice and cross your fingers.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:16 PM
Fork Horn

I would go down in person. It can be tuff when thier is more than one peson involved , You've already met him you are half way there!
Old 08-12-2006, 07:54 PM
Typical Buck

I would definitley talk to him face to face. Hopefully you can work things out. If not
be respectfull and thank him for meeting with you. Who knows, if you make a positive impression
he may reconsider later.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:01 PM
Typical Buck

It doesn't sound like you for sure lost the land. Talk to him in person and maybe offer to take him to lunch. One thing I do is offer to give a big part of the deer meat to the owner or maybe tell them I'll give them the first deer from the land if they really like the meat. No matter what I always try to share at least a good ham or something with the owner. One thing to remember is that other people will ask to use the land so make their experience with you the most enjoyable. You can become like part of the family and help out with the land, etc...Just some ideas I've found have helped me.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:20 PM

What choice do you have, really? You have no other option to go talk to him, unless you're happy w/ losing that property.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talk to him in person.

I sorta have the feeling that maybe this lady doesn't like the idea of deer being shot. Sure it was OK when you were just hunting, but now that she knows you actually killed one, she may be having second thoughts.

She seemed like she was trying to discourage you from even asking this guy. Then she found out you already talked to him and was surprised.
I'd say, she's the one that doesn't want you killling deer.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd meet the guy face to face. The first words out of my mouth,as I was shaking his hand, would be " Hi,do you remember me? I was hoping to get a chance at another deer with my bow this year"
Old 08-13-2006, 02:24 AM
Super Moderator

As others have said, go talk to the guy personally, but I think there is more to this story. Your following quote:

Last Nov. 12, I shot a nice buck on this land.
You also said he used his Bobcat to help load your nice buck. There is a good chance he and/or his sons have decided to hunt this property themselves and wish to keep it to themselves. Possibly seeing your nice buck planted a seed in their minds.

Old 08-13-2006, 08:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

"You also said he used his Bobcat to help load your nice buck. There is a good chance he and/or his sons have decided to hunt this property themselves and wish to keep it to themselves. Possibly seeing your nice buck planted a seed in their minds."

I would, I think we all would. One very big reason I keep a low profile.

What to do? As it stands you haven't lost it, talking to him maybe the end of it, toughpill to take, but you have to find out some time. Based on your conversation with him I'd leave it in his hands, I mean stop by to pick up the key as planed and see what happens. Play it by ear and leave, if turned down on good terms. It aint over till your dead so keeping things open would be your best chance. Make it a point to run into the guy and bring it up every time in a joking fashion, but at the same time letting him know he would be making you happy and you would not disappoint him. Let it be that it's totally up to him and you'll harbor no ill feelings toward him. He's the king and your the minion. He will like that. I've approached people this way before and they look forward to seeing me anytime because it makes them feel important, and they are as far as I'm concerned.

You took as nice deer off the places and that can't be taken away, be happy with that. If you get another shot enjoy your good fortune, if notenjoy the good fortune you've already had. Either way your a winner!

Having many places to hunt from and always looking for more is something I advocate.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:24 AM
Typical Buck

I can only add: play your cards right man.

Quick Reply: I lost some PRIME land yesterday. What should I do?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.