Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Teaching the Girlfriend >

Teaching the Girlfriend

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Teaching the Girlfriend

Old 08-10-2006, 12:15 PM

Default Teaching the Girlfriend

Well I have been shooting alot to try to get ready for opening day (which leaves little time for my girlfriend), so I decided I would let her use an old PSE Silverhawk bow I had laying around. Does anyone have any tips on how to set up a bow for a female(besides a lighter draw weight). I hope this will give us more time together and be fun at the same time. Also any pointers on teaching correct form would be appreciated.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Teaching the Girlfriend

i just started teaching my gf this summer, I found it was best to make sure the bow fit, in other words draw length.. I actually went slightly short so it would be easier to draw, i plan on putting a loop on to get it right. Starting w/ a really light draw weight is good to. I focused on teaching her proper form and anchoring before i increased the draw weight. She started at 32# and is up to 45# in only a few weeks. She could always handle the extra weight, but she learned how to draw a bow and trained her muscles so it didnt seem as hard. I plan on her getting her first deer this year.

Remember to keep it fun. I started her close to the target so she could start out feeling confident. Also take her scouting and get her excited to go hunting... the ladies enjoy it just as much as we do as long as its not forced on them.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:00 PM

im the gf, and huntinged is right. i really do enjoy it! its much more fun to be doing the hunting rather than just sitting around waiting for your bf to come back from hunting. i hope your girlfriend enjoys it! make sure your really encouraging, because i know i get frustrated when i am not accurate right away. also, what really helped me to learn the correct form was to remember the point on my face that i come back to everytime...i guess thats the anchor point?? That helped me be consistant. good luck!
Old 08-10-2006, 01:05 PM

Thanks for your replies I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:59 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: saberbabe
i really do enjoy it! its much more fun to be doing the hunting rather than just sitting around waiting for your bf to come back from hunting.
Just wait... lol... It goes from "I wanted to go out this weekend while you were hunting" to "I wanted you to mow the yard this weekend instead of go shooting..." lol...

Props to ya for getting 'em started long before the rings get involved....

... all in good fun ladies... please don't use me for live target practice....
Old 08-10-2006, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im more worried she'll want to go out w/ me all the time...

... maybe once she overcomes her fear of the dark it wont be so bad, i get tired of carrying her or the incessant demands toturn the flashlight back on...

(im gonna get in trouble for this post )
Old 08-10-2006, 02:40 PM
Fork Horn

*waitin for the match...*
Old 08-10-2006, 04:42 PM

well excuse me! the dark can be pretty scary, especially after a certain someone viciously murdered a squirrel who refused to die! talk about an interesting first hunting experience...
Old 08-10-2006, 07:43 PM
Typical Buck

better than jerry springer..lol
Old 08-10-2006, 08:33 PM

My hubby got me into it and now I am just as addicted as he is. Just let her do her thing, teach her and don't push it. For us now it has become a fmaily thing as my son will be able to hunt next year! Hubby still gets out more than I do, but I shot the only buck this past season!

Quick Reply: Teaching the Girlfriend

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.