Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Favorite Cover Scent... >

Favorite Cover Scent...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Favorite Cover Scent...

Old 08-13-2006, 08:52 AM

Default RE: Favorite Cover Scent...

ORIGINAL: atlasman

I use scent killer sprays and soap and detergents. I also keep a couple FRESH EARTH wafers in my bow case. I use local foliage from my hunting grounds in my clothes bag because I figure it can't hurt to smell like the trees I am sitting in.

FRESH EARTH is a very nice product IMO. I have used the spray, wafers and dryer sheets and found all of them to do exactly what they say they will........make me smell like dirt. Whether or not that helps me vs a deer's nose........who knows??
Me too. Also, I use a "cedar" tub to keep my hunting cloths in. Usually put fresh cedar branches in with. And I always hunt the wind.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:36 PM

Where I hunt there is a strong, earthy smell to the environment... I tend to sit down on a ridge wall so I rub alot of the dirt into my clothes while waiting for the action to pick up.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

The earth smell is a good one! I have a spot under my stands where before I go up I stir up the dirt and get the smell in the air! Other than that I am as scent free as one can get!
Old 08-13-2006, 02:09 PM
Typical Buck

I USE DEER HERD IN A STICK IT IS MADE BY BORDER CROSSING LABS. THIS STUFF IS GREAT HAD THREE BIG DEER WALK WITHIN 20 YARDS OF MY STAND LAST YEAR.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:48 PM

I usually shower with the scent free soaps and wash my clothes in baking soda. I then store my clothes in a trash bag with the earth scented wafers. I spray down with scent eliminator before heading into the woods. Last year, I mixed vanilla extract with some H2O and used that as a cover scent early season. I killed 2 does using this method. They actually came right under my stand and licked the branches where there was overspray present.

I quit using the vanilla as the rut gets nearer. Learned about the vanilla on here last year.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:11 PM

I'm not a fan of cover scents, take your fox urine for example. What if the neighbor uses fox urine and he stopped to get gas, smokes, chews, has bacon on his shirt etcc....spooking every whitetail for miles...the deer will learn to associate the fox urine with him a human and avoid it....pehaps that isn't the case but when it comes to whitetails, I'm not taking that chance....as scentless as possible is my moto.
I agree with this totally. AfterSitting in a tree for half a day i dont want ait to be ruinedby a huge buck walk by andit smell me. Id rather a deer not smell anything when he walks bymy stand.I use Carbon Spray and it does a good job.Ive been wanting to change to White Lightning just because the Carbon Spray leaves that black residue. Just can't find it locally.Now Finally i can get some becaues a Bass Pro Shop just opened about an hour drive away from my house.