Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rain and Deer?

Old 11-06-2002, 07:53 AM

Default Rain and Deer?

What are your ideas with regards to how the rain affects activity?
I went out last evening after it had been raining all day (it pretty much had died off by the time I got in my stand). Both my buddy and myself didn't see any movement anywhere. Usually we see some activity in the cornfields as the lights go out, but nothing this time.
Does the rain tend to make the deer hold up?

JPM
Old 11-06-2002, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rain and Deer?

I personnally don't think the rain itself stops them from moving. I've seen deer plenty of times moving in the rain itself. What becomes a problem is how hard its raining, and washing away of blood for tracking after a shot. They say deer like to move before and after a storm front. But I don't think normal rain showers efffects them alot. If they are hungry, or in rut they are going to move.
Old 11-06-2002, 09:38 AM

I hunt in North Central Texas, and last weekend it was cold and misty with occasional showers all day Saturday, and Sunday. Miserable as I was wet and cold it was by far the best day I have ever spent in the woods. I saw 9 Bucks, including 1 big boy I didn't know existed, and was surrounded most all day by deer and deer activity. In fact I stayed in my stand from daylight to dark (not typical for me) because I didn't want to spook anything while leaving. Next time the weather sucks I'm there!!!!
Old 11-06-2002, 09:45 AM
Typical Buck

HoosierBH - I believe deer move irregardless of the weather conditions. The extent of their movement might be affected, but they live their entire exsistance at the mercy of mother nature.

From my experience I have seen more movement just before through right after a cold or rain front. All but a couple of the bucks I have harvested have been in the drizzly stuff at the tail end of the front.

GForce

Shoot often - Hunt always