Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Cougars in Wis.?? >

Cougars in Wis.??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Cougars in Wis.??

Old 08-08-2006, 10:39 PM
Site Buck Guru

Default Cougars in Wis.??

I talked with my farmer friend tonight and he told me that the DNR had released 5 cougers with collars in order to help control the deer herd. This is about 30 miles north of Baraboo. This can't possibly be true can it? It would seem totally irresponsible to release animals that could kill or injure human beings, live stock, pets etc. Anyone with info on this?
Old 08-08-2006, 10:42 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Cougars in Wis.??

seems really far-fetched to me. I'd find out before hunting season though.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah right, and the Missouri Conservation released rattlesnakes by helicopter. I dont know where people get these crazy rumors. If your state did release cougars it would have been a widely debated and publisized event. Just like the wolves in yellowstone. Although a great source for many things, farmers sometimes will believe anything another farmer tells them.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:50 PM
Fork Horn

I hope its not true!! Staring a cougar down with nothing but a bow really doesn't seem like much fun to me
Old 08-08-2006, 11:25 PM

I doubt it is true, but if so, it is a very irresponsible decision. I think the best way to control the herd is to hire or just ask bowhunters to take a set number of does and even fawns prior to the season. Most ethical and efficient way.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've heard a lot of rumors about them up in the northern parts of Wisco. Many sightings of lone cougars. I even had a guy tell me that he saw one with kittens this spring. Said they crossed the road right in front of him as he was on his motorcycle. Personally, I've got to get one on cam or see tracks before I believe it.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:17 AM

I believe it!!!!!

Them cats are popping up EVERYWHERE[:-][:-]
Old 08-09-2006, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

The most convincing story I heard was from two years ago near a property I hunt. A lady toldme she had seen a "cougar" crossing the road very close to the property we hunt. I asked the regular questions, and she was convinced it was a cougar. Later that week another guy approached me with the same idea. I said oh, you must have talked to so-and-so, she said the same thing earlier this week. He didn't even know who the lady was.

Coincidence? Possibly. But it sure seems likely.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:33 AM

I dont know that they released them but a friend of mine(he is trustable) had a confirmed sighting of one right on the property I used to hunt. He saw somthing so He put up his gun and saw it right through the scope. Long tail and everything so it wasnt a bobcat. Also hadmany other sightings by other farmers. So I guess we have em.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

The cougar stories are alive and well in the UP too. I don't buy it personally, lots of Pabst Blue Ribbon Safaris I think.

Quick Reply: Cougars in Wis.??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.