Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

arrow to long??

Old 08-04-2006, 09:07 AM

Default arrow to long??

I pull back my bow with my teeth therefor i only have a 25.5" draw. My arrows are 26". I use a Trophy Ridge drop away rest and my arrow hangs over my rest a good 3". I'd hate to cut them off, it would be like a crossbow bolt wouldnt it?!?!. Any wisdom out there?
Old 08-04-2006, 09:10 AM

Default RE: arrow to long??

First off I applaud you for doing what it takes to stil pursue the sport. Best wishes. As for the arrow, I don't see anything wrong with the added length. It gives you a little more weight thereby keeping your downrange KE up. it they shoot well that way and you are comfortable with them, I wouldn't cut them off.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

its really ok, you could shorten em a bit (1-2"), but you have to keep an eye on your spine and FOC. Do what ever it takes to get those right. Figure out your FOC and then decide if you want to cut em.

PS, if you cut em, might as well take it off the Nock end, (youll get a straighter arrow) and you could wrap and blaze your arrows to get the best flight
Old 08-04-2006, 09:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Length isn't an issue if you have the correct spine arrow. If not, length can cause an underspined arrow. You can cut them off and gain stiffness. I have a 28.5" draw and shoot 27" arrows.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I admire your will to pursue this sport quite a bit.........

I sent my best bud a message letting him know about this thread. He is a one armed archer that has shot mouthtab as well as many other devices as well, and I think he can help you quitea bit. He now shoots a modified thumb trigger that allows him to execute a pure back tension shot and it also added several inches to his draw length so that he can shoot at much higher speeds when competing for 3D. He will be on here in a few minutes and can help you a great deal, he has a lot of knowledge and experience setting up handicapped archers.

Here is a pic I took of him and his current setup to give you an idea....

Old 08-04-2006, 09:31 AM
Fork Horn

well mouthtab i think if your shooting them fine don't cut them, its going to be your personal preff. i'd leave them so you can nock down another pope&young deer this year.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:35 AM
Fork Horn

Mouthy, I used to shoot with a mouth tab and had a 25.5 in draw as well. I had my arrows cut so they were a half inch past the rest. One thing to consider is that by cutting an arrow that short you really increase the spine of the shaft. I used to shoot gold tip 55/75 at 25.5 in draw and 60lb draw weight. But I found that by switching to a 35/55 shaft cut to the same length as my 55/75s I got more forgiveness from my arrows.
Hope this helps and feel free to pm me with any questions.....and like I said I USED to shoot a mouth tab....I have a new way now
Old 08-04-2006, 10:23 AM

ORIGINAL: Rick James

I admire your will to pursue this sport quite a bit.........

I sent my best bud a message letting him know about this thread. He is a one armed archer that has shot mouthtab as well as many other devices as well, and I think he can help you quitea bit. He now shoots a modified thumb trigger that allows him to execute a pure back tension shot and it also added several inches to his draw length so that he can shoot at much higher speeds when competing for 3D. He will be on here in a few minutes and can help you a great deal, he has a lot of knowledge and experience setting up handicapped archers.

Here is a pic I took of him and his current setup to give you an idea....

Thanks. I've been shooting with a mouthtab since 1998. I flipped my jeep back in 1995 and left my right arm & leg paralized. Next to my Wife and two Kids, shooting my bow is important to me. Thanks again.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

how exactly does a mouth tab work? Ive heard of it before but ive never seen one in person.Its soo good that you are doing whatever it take to pursue the sport, most people would go to such great lengths to pursue the sport they love. I dont know that i could do it given your circumstances
Old 08-04-2006, 10:49 AM
Fork Horn

A mouth tab works as such: you sew a "tab" either rope or leather around your bow string under your arrow nocks. You then bite down on the tab with your pre-molar and 1st molar. Now that you have the tab anchored in your teeth you push the bow forward to full draw. Then to release the arrow you just open your mouth.
Here is a pic of me shooting one.

Quick Reply: arrow to long??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.