Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

arrow to long??

Old 08-04-2006, 12:04 PM

Default RE: arrow to long??

Thanks Guys for all your input.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:16 PM

Jaws, I have to give credit where credit is due. For shooting with a handicap be it the mouth tab or the new release you are using you have some of the best form I have seen. What an inspiration to the average guys like us. I would not hesitate to show a beginning archer that picture to describe good form and head position.

Mouthtab, since you are paralized are you saying you shoot with a mouth tab and from a wheel chair? That is F'ing amazing!

As far as arrow length goes, like the others said, as long as your arrow spine is not weak length doesn't mean anything. I draw 26 inches and have shot arrows from 29 inches to 21 inches in length. They all shot fine as long as they were matched to the bow. Remember a slightly stiff arrow is better than a slightly weak one though. My 21 inch arrows were 1714 X7's and they shot really well for me with a muzzy drop a way. Indoor spots though, not hunting.

Have someone here with TAP or OnTarget get your specs and what not and they can put it in the program to tell you exactly what arrow and what length will give you good spine. They will need to know the weight of your mouth tab though since it is hooked to the string.

Jaw's system looks like a much better design, if not a bit more technical to learn.

My girlfriends son has a school mate that is missing his arm up to his elbow. I went to school camp with them last year and he brought his own little compound bow with him for the archery class. He did fairly well with it. He has enough arm that he can sort of draw it with. I told him to hang in there because there are archers out there that shoot like you guys do. I cannot wait until I see him again so I can tell him about this.

I hope to see more of you guys on this forum.

Paul
Old 08-04-2006, 01:39 PM
Fork Horn

Paul, thanks for the kind words! As for your girlfriends son's classmate, if you get the chance to see him again tell him about this release
http://www.huntingnet.com//forum/tm.aspx?m=1269141

I was shooting this style for a little while before I found out how to use a backtension release. It works great and is very easy to use.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:51 PM

Thanks Paul. 26.5 grains my mouthtab weighs. 26" arrow, 25.5" draw@ 66-68lb. Using a 100 grain montec
Currently using Beman camo hunter 400
23 grain totalfletching and wrap.
my peep is 5 grains
cat whiskers cut short string silencers a
a nock loop
Old 08-04-2006, 02:02 PM

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

Jaws, I have to give credit where credit is due. For shooting with a handicap be it the mouth tab or the new release you are using you have some of the best form I have seen. What an inspiration to the average guys like us. I would not hesitate to show a beginning archer that picture to describe good form and head position.

Mouthtab, since you are paralized are you saying you shoot with a mouth tab and from a wheel chair? That is F'ing amazing!

As far as arrow length goes, like the others said, as long as your arrow spine is not weak length doesn't mean anything. I draw 26 inches and have shot arrows from 29 inches to 21 inches in length. They all shot fine as long as they were matched to the bow. Remember a slightly stiff arrow is better than a slightly weak one though. My 21 inch arrows were 1714 X7's and they shot really well for me with a muzzy drop a way. Indoor spots though, not hunting.

Have someone here with TAP or OnTarget get your specs and what not and they can put it in the program to tell you exactly what arrow and what length will give you good spine. They will need to know the weight of your mouth tab though since it is hooked to the string.

Jaw's system looks like a much better design, if not a bit more technical to learn.

My girlfriends son has a school mate that is missing his arm up to his elbow. I went to school camp with them last year and he brought his own little compound bow with him for the archery class. He did fairly well with it. He has enough arm that he can sort of draw it with. I told him to hang in there because there are archers out there that shoot like you guys do. I cannot wait until I see him again so I can tell him about this.

I hope to see more of you guys on this forum.

Paul
I was in a wheel chair for about two years. Now i'm walking with a limp and i use ladder stands now since i have the use of one arm only.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:53 PM

Your best bet would be cutting them off to make them perfect for your setup youll be a little more accurate having less hang over but thats my
best guess
keep on keepin on
Old 08-04-2006, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: APAjaws

ORIGINAL: Rick James

ORIGINAL: APAjaws

It's incredable how strong your jaw mussles can get[8D]
hence the name jaws........
I thought they called me that because I never shut up
Well that too..........haha. I'm shooting tomorrow too, are you down? Call me........
Old 08-04-2006, 05:37 PM

Well I'm glad to hear you regained the use of your leg. Not to be nosey, but do you have any control with your arm? Like can you use it, but it's just not strong enough to draw a bow, or is completely paralized?

Paul
Old 08-07-2006, 05:54 AM

Thanks Paul. I have no use of my right arm. i learned to walk by lifting my right hip and throwing my leg out. Kinda tuff in the tall weeds or water so i just leave for my stands earlier.