Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 making a treestand >

making a treestand

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

making a treestand

Old 08-03-2006, 01:24 PM

Default making a treestand

Have any of you ever made your own tree stand? I hunt on public land and want to buil a stand that I wont have much money in just incase someone wants to walk off with it. I would be using heavy steel and welding it together. Not really worried about weight cause it will be left out there.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: making a treestand

i usually just make mine out of wood and rebuild it every few years and i know people are going to say its too dangerous but people have been doing it for years
Old 08-03-2006, 01:39 PM
Fork Horn

i built ladder stands and took some measurments off a cheap one. made it taller, stronger and a bigger platform to stand and sit on. heavy but they never come down so that's not an issue.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:00 PM

I've helped build my some of my stands. My dad is a welder for a electric company. So he and my brother did the welding. I just bolted them togather, installed the wood for the seat and the air craft cable so they would be folding. Worked good, but I stay on the ground now. To much work for me to install the stands. Physically disablitlys.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:04 PM
Fork Horn

Saltflat--I just finished making my own about a week ago....if you are interested in how I did it...PM me and I can try to help you out
Old 08-03-2006, 02:08 PM

not to get of the making of treestands saltflat but these days there so cheap to buy and are safe its less headache then making them and somone walks off with it its about 30.00,or you can put a lock on it, but if they still want the stand they will take it
Old 08-03-2006, 02:17 PM
Dominant Buck

I agree with Jamie why? Buy a climber and stay portable.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:40 PM
Fork Horn

You may want to check with your state DNR on what the regulations are regarding the construction of tree stands on public property. InOhio it is illegal to construct any type of permanant stand on public property. Especially ones that use nails, screws or screw in steps that go into the tree. Don't rule out using a ground blind this upcomming season. They're fast to put up and take down, and are light weight making it easy to carry them in and out of the woods. Good luck this season!
Old 08-03-2006, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you decide to build a groundblind, maybe set one up w/ dead fall, or atleast a frame that you can put your groundblind in, that way the deer get used to it and wont be afraid as much.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hate both my climber and chain-on because they are way too small, how could anyone spend a whole day in one?
I put hardwood pallets (skids) in trees and they are awsome, I can stretch out, touch my toes, even do some sit-ups if I wanted. I make them safe by securing them from underneath to 2x4s that are both nailed and screwed into the tree, and then I secure each corner with eye bolts / airplane cable tolag boltsin the tree above the stand.Two of sections ofTV tower secured to the tree make a great ladder, and voila, a great big, comfortable, and safe stand.
Here is a pic taken with my legs stretched out, of course this is private land, probably won't be allowed on public.

Quick Reply: making a treestand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.