Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
If you found a stand on your own land? >

If you found a stand on your own land?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

If you found a stand on your own land?

Old 11-05-2002, 04:07 PM
Spike

Default RE: If you found a stand on your own land?

Hmmm - this is a good one.

Legally, if a stand is on your property, do you assume ownership of it because the person illegally hung it there? I wonder if it's different from state to state. For example, in Missouri, if you're speeding and someone pulls out in front of you, normally it's their fault BUT, since you were speeding you gave up the right of way and the accident now becomes your fault.

Yes I would take it down and leave a note in plain site for them to see. I would also probably call the sheriff and/or warden, just to make sure I did my due diligence - CYA. If no one claims it, it becomes yours legally right?

With my luck, if I didn't remove the stand, this idiot would find a way to hurt himself in his illegally placed stand on my property and find a way to sue me. Isn't that how it works?

Edited by - Merit on 11/05/2002 17:07:58
Old 11-05-2002, 04:10 PM

Your Stand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-05-2002, 04:16 PM
AK

I would NOT steal someone's stand, whether it was on my land, neighbor's land, or public land. If I didn't want them there, I would leave a note (stating my wishes for them to either stop hunting there or to ask permission first) zip-tied to the stand.

Old 11-05-2002, 04:18 PM

Well it is up to you to do one of two things, take the stand and leave a note where they can pick it up or just take it. And in NY you don't hae to have any signs up for them to be trespassing. They don't pay for the land or the taxes so you do what you want with what is on your land.
Old 11-05-2002, 05:00 PM
Fork Horn

I have a little different situation, I leased some property right after last hunting season and there were stands left by the people who had leased it before. I took them all down and put them close to the entrance to the property so they could easily find them. The land owner called them and told them they could come get the stands but they still haven't yet.
Old 11-05-2002, 05:59 PM

I would take the stand down and leave a note stating where they can pick it up. I'm not sure what the law states, but if you just keep it you may be brought up on theft charges eventhough it is on your land. At least leaving the note CYA if they do have the nerve to show up.

---
Live: Oregon, IL
Hunt: Knox County, IL
Old 11-05-2002, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I picked up a stand off my property last winter. By the time I got home there was a message on the machine stating that the tresspasser was calling the cops and would have me arrested for theft. As soon as the message ended, he called back and started cussing me out and saying how I stole his stand and that it was theft. Every time I tried to explain to him that he was tresspassing he said we didnt own the land and that he has permission from the previous owner, who had died 3 years prior to the incident. After finally calming him down and getting him to understand that he didn't have permission to be on the ground he came over and picked up the stand. Never appologized or anything. Just drove up the lane, got out, picked it up and drove off. What a *** huh? Haven't had any problems with him since though.

Old 11-05-2002, 06:27 PM

I. personally, would not KEEP the stand... If you have a house nearby, that the person(s) would be likley to know about, I would take the stand there, the person(s) will eventually come along and ask about it, probably. If not, THEN and only then, would I keep it.
Old 11-05-2002, 06:29 PM

Laws vary from state to state. In WV, you can hunt on anyone's land without permission as long as its not posted or enclosed. You didn't meantion whether or not your land was posted. If it is not, how do you expect them to know they are not allowed to hunt there. Not everyone are mindreaders. Now if your land was properly posted or laws in your state require the person to seek permission, then that's another story altogether. As others have meantioned, I would take the stand and leave a note at the tree. Decide what to do depending upon the attitude of the person when they call or pick up the stand.
Old 11-05-2002, 06:30 PM
Fork Horn

I have had this happen to me. What I did when i was scouting i had my fourwheeler and I just went a took it out of the tree along with the steps and I found the guy walking to his stand about two weekes later and I told him to get the he!! off and e asked me for his stand back and I told him that I just had a new stand it is great. He never came back again.

Yes you were right! Take it

Quick Reply: If you found a stand on your own land?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.