Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is 32lbs. enough to hunt deer? >

Is 32lbs. enough to hunt deer?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is 32lbs. enough to hunt deer?

Old 08-18-2006, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is 32lbs. enough to hunt deer?

Everything will have to be absolutely PERFECT. There is no room for error. You will need to be there with him to tell him whether or not to shoot. He will be tempted to fling an arrow at the first deer he sees. Also:

1. Pick the HEAVIEST arrow you can find. Consider adding weight tube inserts inside a carbon arrow.

2. Limit shots to 15 yards and broadside.

3. 2 blade, cut on contact broadhead in at least 125 grain and 1" cutting diameter.

The key is momentum for slow bows. The only way to get the momentum at 32lbsis to go HEAVY. Try to get his total arrow weight to at least 500 grains. More would be even better.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:03 PM

I spoke with a gunsmith that teaches gun awarness for Texas Parks and Wild Life and he said the minimum in Texas is 42lbs. I didn't know that. Makes you wonder what all else you don't know......
Old 08-20-2006, 11:34 AM

I started at age 9 pulling 38# never had a close enough shot, not sure about penetration. however i was stuck in a tree at 9 by myself i could shoot great but had no ability to make good judgments on shot, as long as your son doesnt have to learn the hard way like i did he should be ok. I almost gave up because i had little help, thank the lord i didnt bowhunting is the best times i have had in the woods. hope your son is the same way some day. props to you as a dad for being involved thats what makes this sport stay around for all to enjoy.. Good luck
Old 08-20-2006, 03:16 PM
Fork Horn

I've enjoyed reading everyones opinion here. A couple of weeks ago I bought my oldest son his first (real) bow. He's only shooting 23 lbs and he knows he can't hunt until we are at least 30 lbs and consistant (it'll be squirrel and rabbit practice this year). I took both my boys out yesterday to do some scouting and they had a blast. Fortunately, we saw some does so that made the trip worthwhile for them. We shot some and I even showed them how to group'em at 30 yds.

Old 08-20-2006, 05:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

My daughter will find out how a 30# Martin Tiger will do on deer with a 24" draw length.

I have this bow tuned to perfection and at that weight and draw tune is MUCH MORE IMPORTANT than with a full grown rig.We have it shooting Bullet holes @ bow as well as 3 ft,6ft,and 20 ft.This is also with centershot set perfect and rest heigth is perfectly square.

She will be shooting 1716's with 100 grain Stinger 2 blades with 4" feather(feathers will help penetration)and cresting wraps.She has 12% focand a total weight of 362 grains.

That puts the weight ratio at 12 grains per pound and get 150 fps with 18 ft/lb's of ke.Of course,ke will do very little from this type of setup,you need as much momentum as humanly possible.This setup will drop 2.5" peryard@15 yards and 3.3" per yard at 20 yards,so going much heavier will make it very hard to hit where you want from 15-20 unless they are holding the pin EXACTLY in the right spot.

The key for you will be tune as well for my daughter.Also the shot selection and distance.Nothing over 20 yards,preferably,15 yards.And make sure the bow is as quiet as possible,at that distance,deer will bolt on ANY noise.

I actually made my daghter quit using my Carter because it clicks when shot and I wasafraid that it was too muchnoise for her situation.

Obviuosly I believe it can be done so I say go for it but be mindfull of EVERYTHING.The important thing is staying involved with your children and their interest.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Oh yeah,there is no minimum draw weight in Ky,or minimum arrow weight.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its a minimum of 40# in my state
Old 08-20-2006, 07:56 PM
Fork Horn

The bows today are more efficiant than they where only a few years ago a good set up maybe a ground blind and under 20 yds I'd put money on a pass through
Old 08-27-2006, 10:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

A quick follow up.

I got a brand new foamlayer target and my daughter was getteing 8" of penetration with her broadheads at 15 yards.I believe that will get it done.

Let us know how he makes out with the setup.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:52 AM
Typical Buck

i would say that 32 lbs is enough to make a clean kill but i wouldnt take any shot past 20 yds. i shot my buck quartering toward me at 20 yds with a 35 lb compound bow and it brought it down just within 50 yds. just make sure u dont hit the shoulder blade or make a gut shot.

Quick Reply: Is 32lbs. enough to hunt deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.