Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Double Lung... or Heart Shot....What do you prefer >

Double Lung... or Heart Shot....What do you prefer

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Double Lung... or Heart Shot....What do you prefer

Old 11-05-2002, 12:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default Double Lung... or Heart Shot....What do you prefer

What do you guys prefer...a double lung, or heart shot. Why?

Old 11-05-2002, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Double Lung... or Heart Shot....What do you prefer

I've no doubt, double lung every time.

With double lung, you have a bigger target area being more forgiving of a slightly off shot. Take out both lungs, and the deer is gonna suffocate in short order. Plus, his/her heart will keep pumping, leading to better blood trails and quicker blood loss and death. In my experience, if you take out the heart, while the deer is certainly going to die, it can run much farther and will not produce as good a blood trail...

Old 11-05-2002, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

low double lung all day long! (1/3rd up is what I prefer!)

My only heart shot animal, no wasnt the shortest trail at what we figured to be 60 yards, but you could have followed in pitch black with no light there was so much blood!

I think, no almost know beyond a resonable certianty the animal dies slightly faster with a heart shot and more then likely will leave a bigger blood trail just due to the low nature of both entry and exit holes keeping less blood in the chest cavity! Blood trails are never the same however, I have seen dbl lung animals leave trails the same as my heart shot critter, I think there is just to many factors leading to a blood trail. Btw, that buck was shot with a 2 blade zwickey head!

You should be more worried about getting a shot you feel comfortable with and not talking yourself into taking a marginal shot! Also knowing what is a good shot, what isnt is something to consider, being many on here are new and it seems many of the looses seem to be pushing the envelope IMHO with shot selection! Knowing your abilities, knowing your equip's abilities, and knowing a good from bad shot will lead to a dead animal 99.9% of the time and there is NO luck involved!

Also learning tracking skills IS A MUST!!! Its funny, the most important skill is probably the most overlooked! Pushing a hard hit animal could very cause you to loose it and it happens all the time! Pushing a mortally but less then desirable hit animal is a spell in disaster as you can follow by some of the thread being post in the past week!
Old 11-05-2002, 12:46 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-05-2002, 12:47 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-05-2002, 01:05 PM
CG

Flip a coin.....

"What we do in this life echos an eternity"
Old 11-05-2002, 01:30 PM

Aim for the lungs, take the heart - 1/2 dozen of one, 6 of the other.....
Old 11-05-2002, 02:45 PM

Double Lung, its a better shot then tryen for the heart every time. Just place that arrow halfway up the body tight behind the front shoulder and there yours.
Old 11-05-2002, 02:48 PM

Doesn't matter. Either or. Both.
Old 11-05-2002, 03:08 PM

double lung is the best and safer shot

Quick Reply: Double Lung... or Heart Shot....What do you prefer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.