Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 any luck with scents ANYBODY? >

any luck with scents ANYBODY?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

any luck with scents ANYBODY?

Old 08-02-2006, 06:54 AM
Fork Horn

Default any luck with scents ANYBODY?

is there any of you that consistantly have good luck with scents? if so what kinds and how do you go about using them. i've had some good luck but mostly bad or none.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:20 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: any luck with scents ANYBODY?

I've had the best results with food scent lures , those attract does and does attract bucks so sometimes you get lucky and score a twofer . Haven't had much luck with pee lures or bottled curiosity lures other than getting them to hold still at one spot , and even then it was hit or miss .
Some of my favorites are:
Persimmon
apple
vanilla(natural)
pear
anise
sweet corn(juice from can)

Of that group persimmons have done the best .
Old 08-02-2006, 07:22 AM

I've read on this board alot of people have been praising "Deer Dander" so I'm going to try that this year, the best luck I've had using scent's is making a drag and putting interdigital scent on it and dragging it to my stand with me (actually had two bucks with there nose to the ground come in), in fact I've used almost every kind of scent you can imagine and that's the only thing I've actually had a deer put there nose to the ground and follow. I've tried scent bombs and just about every other method of dispersing scents and have had little or no success. Just my two cents but unless there's a ton of deer in your area you might get lucky 1 out of 100 times using scent's, I'll probably get hammered for this but chance's are if your using scents and there attracting deer there's a good likelyhood you'd be seeing deer wether you used scents or not.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use code blue, and also vanilla in a bottle that I spay on the branches (the does seem to like that). Actually I used a drag rag two years ago with Code Blude, and tied it to a branch. Forgot all about leaving it there. Last year I had a four point come off the bak and walk right up and put his nose on it...a whole year later. Thought it was kinda neat.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:31 AM

Hi Tedrow. Good question. I've used all kinds of urine lures and i canthonestly saythat any off them "brought" a buck in bow range. I agree with "Kevin1" that if they come across the urine it will hold them there hopefully long enough to get a shot and i am going to try a food source lure this year. Hope this helps.

Old 08-03-2006, 07:34 AM

ORIGINAL: mouthtab

Hi Tedrow. Good question. I've used all kinds of urine lures and i canthonestly saythat any off them "brought" a buck in bow range. I agree with "Kevin1" that if they come across the urine it will hold them there hopefully long enough to get a shot and i am going to try a food source lure this year. Hope this helps.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

In my experience most scents are simply diluted, water downed solutions that will spook as many deer as they would ever "attract" and I use that word loosly simple because I don't believe many attract deer, they simply get their curiousity up enough to come in and check 'em out. Throwa mature trophy class animal into the mix and helearned long ago that he shouldn't be curious so you just can't expect him to close the distance! All this being said, I've seen only ONE scent that truly brought in and positioned trophy class animals for me and that was James Valley Scents. More specifically, the JVS Gels have been awesome! Not only have I tagged a handful of P&Y class animals over these scents but I have passed on many, many more.I can honestly say that EVERY season since I've used these scents I've had P&Y class aniamls within easy, slam dunkdistance of my stands. My favs are Leathal Weapon and Wall Hanger Gels in Mock Scrapes. They have certainly impressed me enough to never go into the woods without some in my pack. Try a small jar of the stuff for yourself and you'll be impressed!
Old 08-03-2006, 09:06 AM

I have had a lot of luck with a product called Buck Smoke. It comes in a can similar to a snuff can. Get to your hunting site and open the can. You can use cotten balls or a gauze pad to wipe around in the cand and lay it in the lid for a secondscent bomb. You can view the product at their web site www.bucksmoke.com
Old 08-03-2006, 05:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

No except for natural ones. None that draw only those that cover, like rotting vegitation or a dead animal. Other than that I like it to be like I was never there.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:57 PM
Dominant Buck

I tried that Spanish Fly but after three slaps went home alone. I'm bad wrong forum.

Quick Reply: any luck with scents ANYBODY?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.