Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How far is the hike to your stands? >

How far is the hike to your stands?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How far is the hike to your stands?

Old 08-02-2006, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How far is the hike to your stands?

On the same piece of public land I have stands as close as200 yards from the road and as far as a good hour longhike (no idea on distance since it is pretty hilly). I have seen good bucks from all, but only one I have gotten there was right by the road. At home my farthest walk is about 600-750 yards but it is nice and flat.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:56 AM

This year I have three main hunting spot's two for archery and one for riffle. After hearing how far you guys walk I don't feel so bad anymore. The spot I hunt during the week after work is about a 200 yard walk from the road on a trail, the spot I hunt during the weekend is about a 1/4 mile from the road and the spot I have picked out for my stand for opening morning of riffle hunting is about 1/4 mile down an old logging road from where we parkand then about 1 block down and old four wheeler trail. I am hunting some brand new land for riffle season that I leased which is 163 acre's in size so I will try and find another couple of stand sites for riffle season and there areabout 10 square miles of state land to the west and south of my land so I'm sure it will take me a couple years to find a few more good spots. This year will really just be a learning year to see what the deer do and where people hunt the public land.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:16 AM

1/4-1/2 mile has been my average. Few years back I was driving by some public land that lined both sides of the road. Several people hunted it often espeically on the weekend, seemed like every time I drove by there was several does dang near within bow range of the trucks. A guy could have parked the truck, walked 30 yards, crawled up a tree and shot a deer in that spot.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lucky for me all i get to hunt is public..haha...well the further away from roads and people the better... Scout the area well and see if the spot is better for morning or evening hunts...I ride my bike about 4 miles then hike about 1 mile to my location....with that i am able to get around the area the deer are in and slip to my stand...best advice is to scout and see where the deer bed and feed then make a plan to get to stand or hunting area based on that..good suggestion if you use scent blocker or other simular products, put them on once you get to the location or near it that way you don't swet a lot on your hike...
Old 08-02-2006, 01:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

when i hunt public land i hike for miles but it takes 5 minutes to go to one of my stand of course its behind my house and the other is 30 mins
Old 08-02-2006, 01:54 PM

The largest track of public land I can hunt is about 840 acres so it's not very big. My average walk is between 1/2 to 1 mile. I did see a nice 8 pointer about 40 yards from the parking area though.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:19 PM
Fork Horn

I have some stands I have to maybe 1/2 mile walk to get to, but some of my better ones are actually less than 100 yards from the truck. Tight funnels where deer cross roads. If everybody walks 1/4-1 mile in the deer move out to the edges. And I hunt mostly public ground. Just an option to consider...
Old 08-02-2006, 03:09 PM

any where from 100 yards to 1 mile.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Same Here.. Only because I choose to park that far away though.
ORIGINAL: ropedawg

any where from 100 yards to 1 mile.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:41 PM

Lots of good replys here. Unless something better shows up, I'll for sure make the effort to at least give the spot a better look. I have a nice 2 wheel game hauler so getting the deer out wouldn't be a huge chore. However, I would only consider taking a P&Y buck from this area. No need to make the long haul for a doe or small buck.

Quick Reply: How far is the hike to your stands?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.