Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How about a "dumb" question RE: Mechanicals....? >

How about a "dumb" question RE: Mechanicals....?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How about a "dumb" question RE: Mechanicals....?

Old 08-01-2006, 07:34 AM
Dominant Buck

Default How about a "dumb" question RE: Mechanicals....?

For you guys that shoot mechanicals.......especially those with the bands......how do you practice? Isn't it a pain in the axx to keep re-banding those things?

Disclaimer: If this question is so over-the-top stupid .....or makes me look even MORE dumb......then ........well......consider the source!

Jeff
Old 08-01-2006, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How about a "dumb" question RE: Mechanicals....?

It is a pain, you just gotta do it. If you havnt bought them try the rage slipcams (no bands). dependin on the design sometimes its easy to unscrew the head, put the band on the shaft, then rescrew the head in and roll it up.

The snypers i shoot cant be done that way, so i just carefully do it, and really I only practice w/ them now and then, just to double check their accuracy. I dont like chewing up my target to much. once i confirm all my chosen broadheads will group just like field tips, i practice w/ field tips. Its safer and easier, and costs a lot less..
Old 08-01-2006, 07:43 AM
Typical Buck

The brand I use have an available practice blade package you can buy. They are the same weight they just don't open up. Once season gets closer I then use the regular blades and just replace the blades before I hunt. I always keep the old blades from one year to the next to use for practice.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I am testing some for point of impact, good old dental floss works for me. Tie'em shut.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:25 AM

Practice blades!

I use to use the NAP Scorpions which didn't have practice blades. I just used my BHs from last year and bought a 100 pack of o-rings at my hardware store which was only a couple of bucks. They lasted 3-4 shots before I needed a new one.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

good old dental floss works for me. Tie'em shut.
Ditto.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Dental floss is a great idea, Here's what I do or should say, did cause I'm going with the dental floss idea, with my Snypers...I cut electrical tape in 1/16" pieces about an 2" long and wrap the blades where the band goes....they still open, at least the Snypers do but that's not the point, the impact point is....

I'd like to add as well that I use one set of dull blades and change each broadhead as I practice. I use those same blades for each head I test and you should test them all for impact point. I then put new blades in for hunting.

Please do not use once shot blades for hunting.....
Old 08-01-2006, 10:05 AM

I use NAP's SpitFire. No need for O-rings or bands.I have taken the blades out of a couple of them and praticed with 'em, they fly the same as with the blades. I got a couple that I use with the blades as well for practise.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

A couple shots with a good mechanical and a well-tuned bow will tell you that you don't need to practice with them. That's the nice thing about them!
Old 08-01-2006, 12:37 PM

Mudder...doesn't that change the weight of the head thereby affecting arrow spine and point of impact?

Quick Reply: How about a "dumb" question RE: Mechanicals....?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.