Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Thinking about Bow Hunting >

Thinking about Bow Hunting

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Thinking about Bow Hunting

Old 07-31-2006, 11:01 AM
Spike

Default Thinking about Bow Hunting

Hello All,
I'm thinking about bow hunting, but where do I start? What bow is a good one to start out with and keep for a couple of seasons? What to look for if I buy a used bow?
I would appreciate all responses.

Thank you
Old 07-31-2006, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Thinking about Bow Hunting

First, do you currently know any bowhunters that you would consider to be well-experienced? If-not, go to a local pro-shop and ask for some help. You need someone to show you the basics first-hand, it will save you many hours of frustration.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

well whats you price range for a new bow? then we can start from there
Old 07-31-2006, 12:15 PM
Spike

I do know a good Bow hunter, never thought about that.

Thanks
Old 07-31-2006, 12:29 PM
Spike

I've seen Bows go from $199.00 to $699.00. I have also seen bows on e-bay. Let me clarify, a decent economical bow. What goes for new and what's the used price.
Wal-Mart has a Bear compound bow kit right now for $199.99. Have you seen this yet? and is it a good deal?

Thanks
Old 07-31-2006, 12:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

thats a great starter bow go for it

Old 07-31-2006, 12:36 PM
Fork Horn

I was in your position last year--I really didn't know a ton about bowhunting, but I wanted to get going with it. My best advice to you would be to take a friend with you to the store who bowhunts and knows what he is talking about. Having someone who can tell you what you need and what you don't need will save you time, money, and frustration. Also, make sure you don't buy a crappy bow just to save some money. If you pay a little more now, you will save money in the long run. Good luck!!!
Old 07-31-2006, 12:37 PM

ORIGINAL: BlueGrass Man
Wal-Mart has a Bear compound bow kit right now for $199.99. Have you seen this yet? and is it a good deal?
Thanks
No! stay away from WalMart bows!

There are plenty of great NEW economical bows available on the market these days for about the $300 price range (+/-)

I'll suggest three that are usually available everywhere:

PSE DeerHunter Package
PSE Nova Single Cam
Hoyt MT Sport
Hoyt Ultrasport (often on sale these days)

Figure between $250 to $350 for the bow, another $40 for a half dozen Easton XX75 arrows, $25 to $50 for a release and you're shooting.

It's a little late to get started for this season, but find yourself a good pro shop and ask a LOT of questions.

And I repeat, stay away from both Ebay and Walmart!!!1
Old 07-31-2006, 12:49 PM

I'm fairly new to bowhunting myself, last year being my first one in the stand, one thing I can tell you is that you probably get nickel'd and dime'd to death your first 6 months into it. When I started out I bought a good bow off ebay and shot that for 3 month's or so and then decided I need something better because when I started I had no idea what I needed. In the previous post's there's some good starter bows which should easily last you several year's if not longer. Also I would suggest to buy a good site, rest and release. I bought bottom of the line stuff when I started and again realized I needed to upgrade to be consistant after I got the hang of it but those things will last you a long time so rather than buying sub par stuff to start and replacing it in a few months I would go high end on those because they will last. Your stabilizer may come with the bow as well as string silincer's, limb savers and your peep ( I started with a peep but went to the hind sight and love it). Arrow's I would stick to the basic's to start with and then upgrade when you can.......o and don't get to caught up in the all the technical stuff on this board,,,I've beat my head against the wall thinking about the FOC of my arrow, I finally made the change I need to or was told to do and my shooting didn't change one bit.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:21 PM
Dominant Buck

Do this first:

GO TO A BOW SHOP AND HAVE THEM FIT YOU FOR A DRAW LENGTH

Now....

Now that you know that.....you can likely run into a "deal" right here on these boards (there's a classifieds forum, too). There's also people here that have bows for sale. Thing is.....if it won't fit you.....it could be a STEAL and it wouldn't matter.

Ask questions.....but do a search, also, when you want to know something. When I first got started.....I looked through PAGES AND PAGES of posts.....and read ANYTHING I thought was interesting.....or anything about topics I had no knowledge of (Which was a VAST expanse!). You'll be surprised what you can pick up just reading, here.

Iwas fortunate enough to have a good friend who is a guide to lead me in the direction of my bow. I also thoughtif I didn't like it....and I bought a quality bow....I'd get something for it if I sold it. Fat chance, now. I've been hooked since day 1.

This is a good group of people, here.Get fitted....THEN look for a deal on a quality bow (I'd go used and not think a thing about it).

Good luck.

Jeff

Quick Reply: Thinking about Bow Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.