Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting vs Killing

Old 07-30-2006, 11:09 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Hunting vs Killing

I UNDERSTAND WHERE YOU ARE COMING FROM, I HAVE BEEN IN THE SAME BOAT. THERE ARE PEOPLE THAT ONLY SEE IT HAS KILLING A DEER OR ANIMAL. THESE PEOPLE HAVE NOT BEEN EXPOSED TO HUNTING, THEY DON'T KNOW ALL THE WORK WE DO, SHOOTING AND SO ON TO GET READY FOR THAT ONE MOMENT. THEY DON'T KNOW THE FEELING TO BE IN THE WOODS WELL BEFORE DAYLIGHT AND SEE AND HEAR THE WOODS COME ALIVE.
I GUESS WHEN IT DOES COME DOWN TO IT WHEN YOU DO HARVEST A DEER YOU HAVE KILLED IT. I TRY TO ALWAYS US THE WOOD HARVEST AND NOT KILL. THE WORD HARVEST GOES OVER WITH PEOPLE A LITTLE BETTER I THINK. I HAVE TRIED TO EXPLAIN THE REASON TO HUNTING TO A NUMBER OF PEOPLE. I HAVE TALKED ABOUT DEER OVER POPULATION AND THE EFFECTS IT HAS ON CROPS, THE NUMBER OF CARS WITH HIT DEER EACH YEAR AND SO FOURTH. EACH YEAR I GIVE ONE DOE WHICH I HARVEST TO A NEEDED FAMILY OR TO OUR LOCAL SENIOR CITIZENS HOME.
NO MATTER WHAT WE DO OR SAY SOME PEOPLE WILL ONLY SEE IT ONE WAY.
GOOD HUNTING.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:48 AM
Dominant Buck

GOOD post, Atlas.

I like Atlasman feel a sense of saddness when I first lay my hand on my animal. Mixed feelings pour over me, I'm elated, sorry, happy, sad, thankful, mornful, proud, humble...that's what makes me human.
Rob: That's well-put. hear! hear!

I have NOTHING but EXTREME respect and regards for the animals I hunt. I am not a highly (Openly)religious man.....but I'm most 'at-one" with MY God when I'm in his back yard. Do I enjoy killing? NO! Will I do it? YES! Will I gain any satisfaction from the actual "kill"? That's tough. The fact is.....the end result of a successful HARVEST is that an animal has lost its' life. I WILL NOT disrespect God OR that animal by making a mockery of the moment. I feel a DEEP connection with these animals we hunt. If you REALLY stop and think about it........what you've done is ended a being's LIFE. That's huge. Show some respect.

I watched a mountain goat hunt on TV, last year.....where Will Primos was trying to get one with a bow. They hiked ALL OVER that mountain range.....and he couldn't get into bow range. He finally took one with a rifle. When they got to the animal (quite a hike)......the guides (a family).....surprised me by joining hands (and Will did with NO hesitation) to say a prayer over the harvest. I don't mind telling you.....it was touching. It was befitting. It was a show I'll never forget. They got it right.

I took one shot with the bow, last year. It was a miss at a doe on the next to last day of the season. I did 2 things wrong on that day. I underestimated the yardage.....and I know I was aiming too low (now). THAT was a successful hunt. I had PLENTY of successful hunts, last year.....and I didn't harvest a deer. It set me up for this year. I had one morning in the stand, last year that started with a 1/2 rack 6-pointer (3 on one side) coming into my set.....and staying around for 30 minutes. I was in a stand less than 10 yds from an active scrape.....and he came in....went through the routine....andI could not have been more THRILLED and excited. I felt like I had witnessed something that VERY FEW people will ever get to......or even understand.What a thrill.....he was the first buck I'd EVER seen in the wild (I disposed of his carcass, this Spring.....He was hit by a car). He was followed by 4 does.......and I watched and listened to him grunt and chase those does EVERYWHERE! The fourth "doe" ended up being a little button buck. I watched HIM stand on his back legs to get to the licking branch (same scrape).....and then do his own rendition of scraping back the earth in the scrape. THAT is magical. I watched 2 other bucks work this same scrape that day......and left the woods TOTALLY exhausted. I had had a VERY full day. Was it a successful "hunt"? Oh yes.

When I was riding Harleys......there was a phrase that "bikers" used. A lot of people would put it on helmet stickers and t-shirts. This phrase also applies to hunting (I believe).

It reads:

"If I have to explain it......you wouldn't understand"

Jeff
Old 07-31-2006, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great post! Same to you Atlas!
Old 07-31-2006, 07:04 AM
Dominant Buck

2 more things.....

No. 01: Atlas.....finally.....common ground.

No. 02: The sense of RESPONSIBILITY of getting my son into hunting FAR OUTWEIGHS the pleasure or satisfaction I have with him being out there with me, right now. I guess you could say I'm still "nervous". Does he truly understand what I'm teaching him (ethics, being a good steward of the outdoors, etc...)? Will he do the right thing (i.e. not take an unethical shot/truly respect his prey in ALL endeavors/etc...)? When I KNOW he's "got it".....and I don't have to worry about it.....THEN I'll likely enjoy hunting with him moreso. Right now....school is still "in session". Kinda like life, huh?

Jeff
Old 07-31-2006, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

The excitement acted out on TV by the TV hunters is a huge part of the problem IMO. The shows are nothing but 30 min of commercials and then the kill shot and then the celebration......[&o]

The shows don't doa very good job portraying "real" hunting IMO and that's the problem. Non hunter have more of a chance to see a guy or girl on TV hunting the "TV way" moreso than seeing any of us hunting the way our Father's tought us.......Heck we disagree with the way the shows portray a hunt and we hunt. Imagine the feeling of someone who does not hunt.

As for the Kill I guess i just look at it as part of it, but not all of it. The excitement I feel just moments before I pull the trigger or release the aarow is un-describeable to anyone that does not hunt. Not sure TV can really show the true emotions that I feel.....

good post Atlas!
Old 07-31-2006, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great post Atlas

Ever watch a great football game? Maybe a 28-21 last secondwin by the Giants over Dallas.(hahah. OK insert teams) where it was an epic struggle by both teams all day. Awesome hitting, incredible playmaking by both offenses. Spectacular runs and catches, great tackles and interceptions.

Well, maybe hunting and killing can be describedsimilarly. Sure at the end someone had to winor lose. But really it was a great game because of everything that went on during the game. Can someone who just sees the score 28-21 (the kill) on sportscenterreally appreciate what went on during the entire 3 and a half hours (the hunt). What made it so exciting was everything that went on before the finalgun went off.

I don't think i can actually say that I love to kill. I have yet to walk up on a deer i have just shot and not felt some form of sadness for that animal.
But i can without hesitation say I love to hunt