Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting vs Killing

Old 07-30-2006, 02:29 PM

Default RE: Hunting vs Killing

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

I have to admit though that somedays I have to just kill something with my bow; even if it is a sparrow under the feeder while I shoot off of my 2nd floor sundeck.

Why?

Yea, I am hardcore.
A hardcore sparrow killer??

Sorry, that just struck me as funny.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:32 PM

I agree 100% with all of what your saying atlas.

I get so caught up with all of the other aspects of hunting that I don't even think about the killing until the second I decide i'm going to take an animal. Then it all starts to sink in and all the thoughts of the efforts that put in to have a chance to take the animal come rushing over me and it's a feeling like no other in the world. That's what hunting is to me not the idea that I killed an animal.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:43 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: atlasman

I have to admit though that somedays I have to just kill something with my bow; even if it is a sparrow under the feeder while I shoot off of my 2nd floor sundeck.

Why? Because I can; probably something to do with my skill and the fact that a Trophy Taker drop away makes it all come together.

Yea, I am hardcore.
A hardcore sparrow killer??

Sorry, that just struck me as funny.
They are pests and need controlled; fair game with a bow.

Hey buddy; what's up with all the quotes? HCH
Old 07-30-2006, 02:46 PM

ORIGINAL: mauser06

im with you......its not about the kill....if i never killed anything id get kinda bored....but i betcha id still get up and head to the woods just to be out there....theres so much to see and hear and even smell out there that most people never get to expirience. i couldnt imagine never listening to a spring sunrise, or sitting on stand on a crisp fall day, with the leaves in peak color and that all familiar smell of fall leaves. i love watching and taking pics of wildlife as well. nothing amazes me more then squirrels. them things are crazy and a blast to watch. i love listening to turkeys talk. i love watching deer mill around. i dont need a gun or bow in my hands to enjoy it all. i do it every year..i call it scouting...but i love to do it. i love scouting and the work that goes into hunting. theres alot more to hunting then the kill. if you dont enjoy it all then your not a hunter. i know guys that WONT wake up early...wont hunt in the rain or extreme cold etc and call me nuts because i do..and because i scout so hard. to me them guys arent in it for the long run.....they arent in it for much more then the kill and fellowship of doing deer drives. 95% of the time i already hunted BEFORE we start the deer drives. this year i slacked a few times due to college and such i couldnt make morning hunting but made drives..but when i got the time im out there regaurdless of time of day..temperature and weather etc..i just droped about 700$ and will drop another 200-300 more on bowhunting JUST to give myself more time in the woods. thats a decint chunk of change when your in college and barely working! to me hunting is worth it because i get so much enjoyment from it. it releives my stresses of juggling work and college and life. worrying about paying my insurance, phone bill, gas in the truck, worrying about exams and papers and homework etc. out there i can just forget it all and just unwind, kick back and relax. often times the only thing i kill is time. thats alright with me. killing game is just a great bonus. thats sweet success when you score and bag game. thats payday for all your hard work. sometimes it pays sometimes it doesnt...doesnt make a diffrence to me. i enjoy sitting on stand all day freezing my arse off in freezing rain! something many people never expirience. and i honestly do enjoy snow and ice storms. that makes the woods look awesome, and means OH DARN i have to hunt an hour or 2 longer to make sure they clean the roads before i head home! lol

Good post.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:48 PM

ORIGINAL: MO_Bowhnter

I get so caught up with all of the other aspects of hunting that I don't even think about the killing until the second I decide i'm going to take an animal. Then it all starts to sink in and all the thoughts of the efforts that put in to have a chance to take the animal come rushing over me and it's a feeling like no other in the world. That's what hunting is to me not the idea that I killed an animal.

I wish I knew why so many hunters feel this way and yet so many non hunters think the exact opposite.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:57 PM

Because I can
You CAN kill anything...........that's no answer.

Hey buddy; what's up with all the quotes?

Same reason you use the bold key...........just makes things easier to follow.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:05 PM

HCH has that right.
English sparrows,
non-native,
pests,
vermin,
rats with wings!
(besides, a dozen sparrows will eat in one what a yard full of other birds eat in a week)

I personally prefer the target air rifle.
Although......
Shish-ka-bob'd sparrows does sound intriguing.

As to anything else,
to kill is part of the point, but far from all of it.
Huntingyour quarryin it's natural habitat, leading up to the kill, and meat on the table, that's what it is all about. Otherwise you may as well leave the bow or rifle behind and take a camera instead.

Old 07-30-2006, 03:17 PM

ORIGINAL: atlasman

ORIGINAL: MO_Bowhnter

I wish I knew why so many hunters feel this way and yet so many non hunters think the exact opposite.
That's simple...because they have never had the oppuntunity to feel that way.

Old 07-30-2006, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good points Atlas - I'm surprised to say that I finally agree with you on something 100%.

To quote myself from a previous post : "When I lay hands on a deer I have shot and killed, I know that I have just taken a life. I've taken the life of one of God's most beautiful creatures and it makes me a tiny bit sad. I do not look forward to killing. That sadness inside us is what keeps us responsible, respectful, and ethical."

Why not take a stand against the hootin and hollerin? We as a community should let the "industry" know what does and does not represent us - especially about acceptable behavior or ethics.

Michael Wadell talking about "puttin the smack down" is kinda funny and all but how about that one Jack@$$ who gives a Rooster Crow loud enough to wake the dead? I'd like to punch that guy in the nose. He IS the slackjawed hillbilly killer that the public sees when they imagine a hunter.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

This has got to be the biggest hunting paradox to explain to someone who doens't hunt. I don't think I have a way that a nonhunter would truly get. You all would understand my explaination, but to a non-hunter I just don't know it they'd get it. Killing is a part of hunting and I'll do so without hesitation on an animal I've set my sights on. But I don't like to kill things at random. Yes I am happy when I see the animal fall, but it's the reasons WHY it fell that make me happy rather than the fall itself.

As far as the overt reactions, I just don't understand that for TV. I'm not saying I don't express myself, but to go nuts like they do, I just don't see it. I've put my hands in the air, or gave a fist pump, but have never uttered anything more than a small "yes" or "thank you". And the older I get the less animated I am.

Quick Reply: Hunting vs Killing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.