Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting vs Killing

Old 07-30-2006, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting vs Killing

Unfortunately, hunters are their own worst enemies. It's a shame that many out there that call themselves "hunters" seem to be interested only in the KILL and killing as many as they can. [:'(]

I hunt because I truly love the entire experience, from the scouting, the practicing, the land and habitat managment (QDM) , it's the entire process and the blood, sweat and tears poured into the "sport" that I'm addicted to. We all hunt for our own reasons. I will add though that I'm NOT going out there just to smell the flowers.... ultimately I indeed want to KILL a deer, a mature representitive of his species and also enough antlerless animals to balance sex ratios and continue to improve herd health and improve everyones hunting in the area.

Best of luck to all of ya this season. I hope ya'all have a successful season, however you define it.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:49 AM

Very good post atlasman. I do understand what you are saying. I will always hunt and kill but I love hunting so much that I hunt with a camera every month of the year. I get as much satisfaction with my camera without killing as I do with my bow and arrows.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:55 AM
Banned

I love the hunt and the kill equally; it alls goes together as one. Of course you hunt way more then you kill or they would call it ''killing'' instead of ''hunting.'' Same as why they call it''fishing'' instead of ''catching.'' I have to admit though that somedays I have to just kill something with my bow; even if it is a sparrow under the feeder while I shoot off of my 2nd floor sundeck. Yea, I am hardcore. HCH
Old 07-30-2006, 11:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

im with you......its not about the kill....if i never killed anything id get kinda bored....but i betcha id still get up and head to the woods just to be out there....theres so much to see and hear and even smell out there that most people never get to expirience. i couldnt imagine never listening to a spring sunrise, or sitting on stand on a crisp fall day, with the leaves in peak color and that all familiar smell of fall leaves. i love watching and taking pics of wildlife as well. nothing amazes me more then squirrels. them things are crazy and a blast to watch. i love listening to turkeys talk. i love watching deer mill around. i dont need a gun or bow in my hands to enjoy it all. i do it every year..i call it scouting...but i love to do it. i love scouting and the work that goes into hunting. theres alot more to hunting then the kill. if you dont enjoy it all then your not a hunter. i know guys that WONT wake up early...wont hunt in the rain or extreme cold etc and call me nuts because i do..and because i scout so hard. to me them guys arent in it for the long run.....they arent in it for much more then the kill and fellowship of doing deer drives. 95% of the time i already hunted BEFORE we start the deer drives. this year i slacked a few times due to college and such i couldnt make morning hunting but made drives..but when i got the time im out there regaurdless of time of day..temperature and weather etc..i just droped about 700$ and will drop another 200-300 more on bowhunting JUST to give myself more time in the woods. thats a decint chunk of change when your in college and barely working! to me hunting is worth it because i get so much enjoyment from it. it releives my stresses of juggling work and college and life. worrying about paying my insurance, phone bill, gas in the truck, worrying about exams and papers and homework etc. out there i can just forget it all and just unwind, kick back and relax. often times the only thing i kill is time. thats alright with me. killing game is just a great bonus. thats sweet success when you score and bag game. thats payday for all your hard work. sometimes it pays sometimes it doesnt...doesnt make a diffrence to me. i enjoy sitting on stand all day freezing my arse off in freezing rain! something many people never expirience. and i honestly do enjoy snow and ice storms. that makes the woods look awesome, and means OH DARN i have to hunt an hour or 2 longer to make sure they clean the roads before i head home! lol

Old 07-30-2006, 01:50 PM

ORIGINAL: farmcntry

Isn't the whole point of going hunting to kill something?

Not to me.........if it were, then every time I didn't kill something I would feel disappointed as if the hunt was a failure. Hunting is SOOOOOO much more then just killing something for me. There have been a few times (everyone's had them) when I barely sat down and I looked up to see a deer headed my way.........10 seconds later it was dead and I was done hunting. I can say without exception those "hunts" rank pretty low on my best memories list.

Yes..........the point is to kill..........and if given the chance I will do so without hesitation. It is just such an unbelievably tiny part of hunting that it doesn't make sense to think that is my sole reason for being there. I always describe the kill as "part of the deal"..........I'm not out there to make friends or take pictures......it's as serious as it gets and it's not always pretty. That's life. I do things that people who don't understand think I am crazy for just to provide the quickest, most humane kill possible and I feel a full range of emotion when I end a life............I also do not kill something unless I am going to eat it.

I don't know how to properly convey those thoughts to some people though..............they think I am out just hoping I can kill something.......just for the sake of killing it........so I can smear my face with blood and howl at the moon or something.

It's hard to show excitement without it being mistaken for bloodlust I guess.

If you didn't intend to kill something you would never leave the house at 4:00am would you?
Yes..........some of my most memorable times on stand did not result in a kill.......many I didn't even get a shot. If I based my getting out of bed on the actual odds of me killing a deer that day I doubt I would ever get up I don't hunt places crawling with deer..........more times then not I don't even SEE a deer.........let alone kill one.

So yeah, people who don't hunt pretty much are correct believing that we enjoy killing.
I don't "enjoy" killing something.............I know what you are saying but I would never word it that way personally.

Now that I've said all the above, here is what the un-hunter heard.
I do enjoy killing my prey.
I do enjoy the kill.
See the problem?
I sure do..........and you are 100% correct.........That is all a non hunter would take from that if it was a conversation.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:00 PM

ORIGINAL: tsoc

To say I like to kill sounds weird to me,I expect to kill,my goal is to kill,I am very happy when I have killed,not fist pumping,screaming,doing cart wheels kind of idiotic happy,but a sense of satisfaction,I figured this area out or animal out and got it done happy.
Couldn't have said it better.

These made for TV over the top displays of excitement are to much in my opinion,they don't seem real to me.I have been involved in the trailing and tracking of animals for a couple of close friends who are accomplished hunters and i have never witnessed those types of antics.
I have no problem with someone being excited if it is pure and personal and isn't demeaning to the animal.A lot of the TV stuff goes way to far beyond that for my tastes!

I just wish they could elaborate on what they are excited about........because when they are acting like Pete Weber or Mike Ioconelli(sp?).........they are doing it right after a kill. To an outsider this looks like some wild eyed sicko getting all worked up over killing something........the fact that a lot of these animals are not exactly fair chase makes it even worse because now people see a wild eyed whacko celebrating killing an animal in a cage that comes running to a feeder like a family dog.

It's also pretty dumb to complain that people feel this way when all they see on hunting shows is 30 minutes of as many kill shots as possible.

Old 07-30-2006, 02:09 PM

ORIGINAL: Antler Eater

It has gotten to the point where a lot of the videos has to be looked upon as another reality show forentertainmentpurposes (if any) only. I have had girlfriends that could fake excitement more genuinely than some of these people. It gets old quick for me personally.
I didn't mean for this to be about hunting shows...........they are just a glaring example of how people get the wrong message. Then I get frustrated trying to undo all that when someone asks me why I get off on killing things...........gets old really fast.

Don't get me wrong, if the "rush" of the kill ever leaves me than I will hang up the old stick and string and walk away. But what I am seeing now from so many shows makes me want to puke. Somebody wrote an article about this very issue that I read somewhere. They used the words of coach Bear Bryant I believe, "Act like you been there before". I thought the author made a very good point.

I don't understand why a screaming idiot makes for better TV because I have NEVER seen anyone act like that in real life.........and I have seen many people so worked up they can barely talk.

Your wife is just pointing out the obvious and I think she is right on.
Yea..........she is great........very supportive of me and everything I do.......but definately not afraid to speak up if she something wrong.

Old 07-30-2006, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

Im glad my wife supports my hunting as well. Its nice to have a supporting woman. Mine even comes with me when Im turkey hunting from time to time...
Old 07-30-2006, 02:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

I hunted many a bow season and never spent an arrow. It certainly not about the actuall kill or I would like Atlas mentioned, shoot the first legal animal that came by. I don't look back at those seasons as unsuccessful so I don't narrow my success to the kill but to the hunt. I am a hunter, I don't consider myself a killer. A kill is not the success of my hunts but a kill is the end result of my season with a single tag to fill.

I like Atlasman feel a sense of saddness when I first lay my hand on my animal. Mixed feelings pour over me, I'm elated, sorry, happy, sad, thankful, mornful, proud, humble...that's what makes me human.

Yup.

I like situations such as you see sometimes....a hunter would be the first person to rescue a deer in danger, like on broken ice...I've seen it before on TV in the news etc....if it were all the kill our hearts wouldn't have that compassion for the life of said animal. But saddly there are those that live in our society that a life means nothing to then, be it human or otherwise, there is good and bad in every walk of life.

This is one of the things that confuses me.........all the good things that hunters do and yet some people can't get past the fact that we kill what we hunt..........even though they know someone is killing the food they eat every day too............that is somehow OK but when their neighbor does it himself he is a weirdo.............strange logic.

Old 07-30-2006, 02:26 PM

ORIGINAL: IL-Cornfed

Unfortunately, hunters are their own worst enemies. It's a shame that many out there that call themselves "hunters" seem to be interested only in the KILL and killing as many as they can. [:'(]

I have no problem with someone killing "as many as they can".......as long as they have legal tags for them.........I would however find it disturbing if they only did it to kill them and just left them laying there. Anyone who kills an animal legally and takes proper care of the meat until it hits the dinner table is OK in my book..........provided there is a legal tag on it.

Best of luck to all of ya this season. I hope ya'all have a successful season, however you define it.
Ditto.

Quick Reply: Hunting vs Killing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.