Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Can't express the importance enough >

Can't express the importance enough

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Can't express the importance enough

Old 09-15-2006, 12:29 PM

Default RE: Can't express the importance enough

This is one place I have experience always use a safety harness and not just when in the tree but while You are going up and down, I teach Hunter safety for New York state and we really try to get this to every student, nobody wants to hunt with a breath release, and many do just because the did not use a safety harness." IT CAN HAPPEN TO YOU ."good hunting Ladies and gentelmen............Vet
Old 09-15-2006, 12:55 PM

switchback the key woord You used was YET
Old 09-25-2006, 06:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

What do you use when climbing into your stand? I strap in when I get on the stand, but until that point I just climb in,like you did. Can you post some details or a good resource to use for this?

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1309286

Most falls occur while getting onto or off of the platform. Yea, it's nice to say "wear a harness'" but unfortunately that won't help if you're not tied in yet.

The link above will show you how you can pretty much eliminate falling from a treestand. Sadly, I cannot keep it near the top of this forum where it could save someone's life or prevent them from hunting from a wheelchair for the rest of their days.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:37 AM

Well Said!!! Glad you are OK
Old 10-29-2006, 07:18 AM

Glad youare ok and still around to share with us all.

God bless

Old 11-01-2006, 01:16 AM
Fork Horn

Pat, glad to hear that you are ok. I too, find that I convince myself that I don't need to used the harness. Guess I better dig that thing out of the day pack and start taking the time to be a bit safer.
Old 11-19-2006, 03:37 PM
Spike

As one who has experienced falling 15ft. to the ground and suffering only a shattered wrist and a few bruised ribs, I too hope that all my bowhunting brother's and sister's will heed the call to strap in. With all the new equipment availiable, especially the new vest's and lineman's belts, there just no good excuse not to strap in. A nasty fall can end your bowhunting day's forever, as well as the quality of the rest of your life!! Hunt smart and live long!!!!
Old 11-23-2006, 06:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've received emails from a lot of board members who've purchased climbing ropes and an ascender for their fixed positions stands.

I commend them for taking care of themselves and their families.

If you haven't done it yet, do it. It is like buying a cell phone...once you own it and use it, you'll wonder how you ever got by without it.

If anyone else has questions, please feel free to shoot me an email or a PM.

The ascender is compact, quiet, reliable, and much much easier to use than a prusic knot.

I know I'm being redundant on this issue, but it is such a fantastic way of reducing or completely eliminating the risk of a serious fall while bow and gun hunting that I am compelled to keep "talking it up" so that others will help themselves and their kids while hunting.

I just purchased a newer digital camera and I'll try to post a picture of the ascender that I've been using for quite a few years.

Good luck with the remaining season. Best wishes to all of you.

Old 11-23-2006, 04:22 PM

I also Teach Hunter's Ed, I have been bowhunting for over 20 years and had attended classes in three different states over the years, but when a friend of mine took a fall out of his stand after shooting a nice Buck and shattered his arm and shoulder so bad that he can never bowhunt again, that was the day I realized that I can take the 5 extra minutes to use my harness going up and down and while in the tree. Because the alternative may be never getting in a tree again and that is not a thought I want to dwell on.
Tt just amazes me that Mom's and Dad's bring their kids to the class because it is required for their kids and yet they have no interest in taking the class, but we have a few every class that stay with the younger kids and then realize that even though they have been hunting for years, they learn a lot and are usually the one's who say " Thank You for Volunteering " Not only are these classes helpful, but they are also great places to meet local's who share the same passion.
The other thing that gets me is I hear and see folks eagerly willing to dish out $600 dollars on a new bow or rifle, but mention $75 for a good harness and they are like no way..... I just can't figure out how one can have a passion for hunting out of a tree and then be so careless as to be willing to risk the next trip by not wearing a harness. I am really glad to see a lot of the hunting shows now advertising and using in their shows some sort of safety system
Old 11-28-2006, 01:20 AM

Just to chime in with everyone else on how important this is... I deal with harnesses at work with electricians and engineers. Just a few weeks ago, a guy lost his footing on a catwalk and fell 19 ft. into a pit! He's extremely lucky and he'll be okay, but he came away with 6 broken ribs, 30 stitches, and a punctured lung... and he doesn't even remember a thing. He was lucky to have people around to call an ambulance. In the field, we usually don't have response time on our side. So PLEASE BE SAFE!

Happy (and safe)hunting,

TG