Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Input please....best bow for my buck >

Input please....best bow for my buck

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Input please....best bow for my buck

Old 11-05-2002, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Input please....best bow for my buck

The Parker Ultra Lite 31, weighs in at 2.9 lbs,axle to axle 31 inches.Amo speed -240fps(30" 60# 540 grain)IBO speed- 310fps (30" 70# 350 grain)
The Parker Ultra Lite 35,weighs in at 3.1 lbs, axle to axle 35 inches.AMO speed - 234fps ( 30' 60# 540 grain) IBO speed 300fps( 30" 70# 350 grain)
I have been very pleased with the performance of the UL31.I was able to pickup a new UL31 for just under $500.00. I had surgery on my release wrist a few years back and found that I can no longer comfortably use a wrist strap release. I found a release that I love and has worked well for me on harvesting many deer and shooting 3D comp. Its called the Winn Free Flight Glove Release, they advertise that it makes you feel like you are drawing back 10 pounds less than you really are, And it really does feel like Im drawing back less weight, it might be something for you to look into after your back surgery.Good luck, I hope you find the right bow for you.
Old 11-05-2002, 07:34 AM

2003 Hoyt MT Sport or Magna TEC.
Old 11-05-2002, 09:56 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks fellas and Lady Forge, you have all given me plenty of research to do.

Thanks Kirk. I have only lived here two years, and have mainly gone to The Bow Rack, which is a very nice place, but high prices and mainly fellas who are more concerned about the name on their bow then how they shoot it.....err, as you can probably guess, mostly Mathews in that shop.

Bent Arrow. I just sold my Magna Tec a few months ago. It was a pretty good bow, a two cam Intruder with all the top of the line bells and whistles, but was a pretty heavy bow. I sold it to a buddy in the hopes of finding a lighter bow with a shorter axle to axle length. I bought it back in the midwest (obvoiusly stand hunting) prior to coming out here, and after hunting western oregon (very thick), the less to hang up on thorn bushes, the better! ;-)

I guess the thing that irks me off about some bow hunters out there is how they become so concerned with the name brand so they can impress their friends, when in actuality, they may have shot an 'off' brand much better.

Thanks again everyone!

Chad

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

--Albert Einstein
Old 11-05-2002, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Oregon....I have a PSE Thunderbolt. 36" ata. 300 fps IBO. IMO, it is a very nice bow for the money(usually around $300 new). I really like mine. It was a breeze to tune, and shoots great.
It's all in personal preference...look at a bunch and decide what YOU want, and what works for you best. It makes no difference what others think...or even what brand you get.
Also, if you do decide on exactly what you want...check ebay. You can get some super deals there....sometimes. Good luck

Old 11-05-2002, 12:49 PM

Check out the Martin's. You'll easily be under $500, and they have some sweet bows...Altitude, Tracer Mag, Cougar Mag, and a new SE limb option this year cuts down on shock and vibration. See the 2003's at their website.
Here's a pic of the 2003 Cougar III SE

http://gra.midco.net/gingerichs/moose.gif" >

Edited by - Dacotah on 11/05/2002 15:34:07
Old 11-05-2002, 01:12 PM
Typical Buck

Hoyt MT sport or the Magna Tec fast,light and dependable.

Old 11-05-2002, 01:23 PM
CG

Right now I would say the 2003 PSE Thunderbolt. It has PSE's new Lightning cam 3 on it shoots 300 fps and weighs under 4 lbs and 36" A to A. And they dropped the price too!!! $299 brand new.

"What we do in this life echos an eternity"
Old 11-05-2002, 06:32 PM
Fork Horn

Check out the Buckmaster G2. I just got one on a friends recommendation (my first bow) and I'm very happy with it. Its inexpensive, accurate and at just over 30 inches axel/axel its great for tree stand shooting. My friend just shot his third P&Y buck with it and a 54" moose earlier in the season. Can't argue with success.
Old 11-05-2002, 06:48 PM

Chad,
I'm going to check out the Pearson Pirahna tomorrow. List price is $329, axle to axle is 30.5" and weight is 3.2 lbs. Sounds like what you are looking for also.

The brace height is 9" so it should be very forgiving also. I found it on www.huntersfriend.com/bowselection which has a compound bow comparison chart that is really helpful.
Old 11-05-2002, 08:23 PM
Fork Horn

The buckmaster and Pirahna both sound great as well. I am coming to the conclusion that there are a crapload of great bows out there that can fufill my needs. 30"....that is amazing. Who would have thought 10 years ago that you could find a bow that is more forgiving, shoots around 300 f.p.s., and waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay shorter. Unreal. Back then I was shooting a wooden limbed Pearson. I killed a lot of deer with that bow, and it still may be the straightest shooting bow I've owned. The only major differences were noise and the fact that I was lobbing arrows in there at 30 yards!!! I wonder how many f.p.s. that ol' boy would register at....probably so slow I wouldn't want to know. But those bucks sure didn't seem to know!

Anyway, thanks again to all for your input. I am in the process of selling my rifle so I can have some funds to make my purchase. Hopefully I can seriously start looking in a matter of weeks.

Chad---Oregon

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

--Albert Einstein

Quick Reply: Input please....best bow for my buck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.