Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Buck growl call

Old 07-21-2006, 06:41 AM

Default RE: Buck growl call

I don't believe it is the new "can". I always thought the "can" sounded like a real animal, and I had heard that sound from deer before. I've never heard a growl. As a product company I think they are "stretching" here to come up with a new product to sell. I have heard their growl on the video and I think you get closer to the actual sound with a grunt tube then what they are selling.

It is amazing how fast some people buy into it itas fact though. They create a call and all of a sudden people are swearing they are hearing "growls" all over the place. I have to think some biologist ot deer farm onwer or hunter would have noticed deer "growling" over the last 100 years. Between us, if I am walking through the woods in the dark and I hear "growling" .... that is not a real good thing!
Old 07-21-2006, 06:59 AM
Fork Horn

I bought the Buck Growl call, if you have the H.S. True Talker call you can make the same growl. The Buck Growl is just a deeper grunt sound that you blow harder and longer. I'm not saying it won't work, I'm just saying that you can make the same sound with the H.S. True Talker.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:23 AM

My hunting buddy swore that he heard a growling sound last year and I told him he was looney. When he saw this call advertised he nearly jumped through the ceiling. Said it sounded exactly like what he heard in the woods. I will check one out but will try to re-create the sound on one of my other calls before I buy this one.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:35 AM
Typical Buck

I watched the Deer and Deer hunting show the other night also, and when I saw it my reaction was like G2's buddy. I about jumped out of the recliner because I finally saw a buck make the sound I heard and saw a buck make about 4 seasons ago. It was the second week of Nov. and the rut was in full swing. I was sitting in the inside cornerof an "L" shaped part of the woods. It was one of my better stands, as I had killed 4 bucks and 2 does out of it over the years. There is a trail that comes out right in the corner and enters the field. They will feed in that corner, and then walk down the other edge heading the other way. I have watched hunreds of hours of deer in this woods so I know their patterns here well.
I decided to take my decoy back there that night and set her out about 20 yards out in the field. As you decoy hunters know, sometimes they help ya, sometimes they screw ya. Well, this night she screwed me. I had a doe with a fawn come from the inside of the woods. She was definitely heading out to the field like they always do. She saw the decoy and it really spooked her. She ran back in the woods and stomped it it for a wahile. You could tell she wanted to go out there really bad. She finally started down the inside of the wood away from me. Man all of a sudden I heard the loudest, deepest longest buck grunt I had ever heard, but it wasn't like a regular grunt. Then the woods went nuts. There was a buck in that area that was the biggest buck I had ever seen personally in all my years of hunting in our areas. This thing was huge bodies and huge racked. I saw him once before outside a woods about 1/2 mile away. And a guy who lives right there who hunts a different area saw it several times down at the same place and he said the same thing about the buck. We named him Brutas. I always hoped he would get down my way. well, this was him!
Hestarted chasing that doe around behind me, and was running off a smaller buck, all the while making this sound. One time he stopped about 25 yards from me, but he was behind some saplings so I couldn't shoot. He ended up chasing her out in the open field about 75 yards down from me. I doe bleated at him. He stopped and looked down at the decoy, then back at doe. He did this about 3 times and decided on the real doe. He was still making this sound as he chased her across the field. I know that he was following the doe, and that if I wouldn't have had that stupid decoy out, she would have went right on out and he would have followed. I would have had all kinds of shots. But it wasn't meant to be.
After I got home, I called my hunting buddy and told him all about it. I told him I have never heard that sound before. I honestly said at one point " It wasn't like a grunt, it was almost like he was growling". I have never heard that sound again. Untill this week on the show. That is exactly what I heard the buck do.
I am gonna buy one and try it during the rut. Ya never know. And if it helped me kill a monster like Brutas, it would be well worth the $$$$. If I hadn't witnessed it my self, I might be more skeptical. But I have and I have wondered about that sound since I heard that buck do it. I will try it!
Old 07-21-2006, 09:59 AM

On the Deer and Deer Hunting episode they were saying that this situation arises when there is a high buck to doe ratio. I think on those deer farms its one buck to multiple does for just breeding purposes. It sort of made of sense to me.

I'll have to try it this year and see. IMO the drurys could have my $15.00

Old 07-21-2006, 02:05 PM
Fork Horn

Well it looks like my experiences were about the same as the majority of you guys then. Sounds to me like this call is on the extreme level of an aggressive grunt. I think I'll stick to my grunt call and rattling bag. Seems to work fine by me and I seriously doubt that a buck that would come into the growl wouldn't come into a grunt tube. Its all about the deer's attitude. I call deer, coyotes, and turkeys, seems like they are all still the same, you get an animal with the right mind set and they come in no matter what the exact sound is as long as it sounds like them. I'm sure all the gimmicks and special calls and noises work, but the good ole faithful work in the same situation.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:46 AM
Fork Horn

I have been burnt on gimmicks (seems like bow hunting has the most) in the past for a lot more than $15.00. I did see the show-Deer& Deer Hunting with Drury boys last week. I have to agree with most of you who say that it sounds like a really raspy deep grunt and that it would be most effective during the peak of the rut in a high buck to doe ratio area.

I'm goingon anall expense paid Buffalo County, WI hunt during the Wisconsin rut (a 40th b-day gift). Considering the huge amount of bucks running around up there, I figure for $15.00 bucks I'll give it a try.

-MC2
Old 07-25-2006, 11:52 AM
Fork Horn

Must be something too it, Primos just announced they are comming out with one as well!!!
http://www.primos.com/product_info.php?products_id=749
Jeff

Old 07-25-2006, 12:13 PM

I picked one up today at BPS. It sounds a little different. The bellows on the end deflects the sound back at the reed. If you take the bellows off, it sounds just like a regular grunt tube. I used my BPS points so I guess I will play with it this year.

I do have a question about the Primos call. Why do they have that gay looking compass on it? Do you really need that thing for when you get lost in the woods?
Old 07-25-2006, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I remember my dad on 2 different occasions coming back to camp and reporting a "growl". This happened long before thecall started getting famous too.The first he had not seen a deer when he heard the noise and wasn't sure what had produced the sound. A few years a later a mature buck stood in front of him over a doe in heat producing the same sound he heard years before.

He jumped out of his chair after reading the article on it after I told him he was crazy both times.

Quick Reply: Buck growl call

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.