Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Buck growl call

Old 07-20-2006, 07:05 PM
Fork Horn

Default Buck growl call

Saw this call advertise by I think it was Mad Calls called the buck growl or something like that and they gave the sound it made. I have never heard that noise come out of a buck when I've been hunting. A lot of really loud grunts, the snort weeze, but never this growl noise they made.
Just wondering if anyone else has heard it in the wild out of a deer.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:31 PM

Default RE: Buck growl call

If Im not mistaken I thought I saw a post about this earlier this week. I would help ya out if I could.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:40 PM

I saw the show on The outdoor channel this week about the Growl call.The show comes onFRIDAY AT 10 pm. The show was called deer and deer hunting. They had some great footage of the growl call. It is by mad calls. It was very interesting. I am not sure if it works or not. From the footage it also seemed like you had to catch the rut at the perfect time. Hope this helps.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just saw a show about this new call (buck growl)that the Drury brothers had made. Another gimmick to get money in my opinion.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:48 PM

Yep I saw the same commercial and it struck me as odd because I have never heard a buck growl either. I've heard them make a clicking sound as if to communicate to other deer, mainly does. I'd like to see a true video of this call in action. What was shown on the commercial appeared to be old clips cut from previous call commercials. JMO.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:12 PM
Typical Buck

This product caught my eye as well, especially the articles I read about it. Most of it is marketing and hype in my opinion. I've thought about trying it but based on the reading (and my gut feeling) is that you have catch the rut just right and then you need to catch right buck in the right state of mind for this to work. If not for that, then maybe you could pique a buck's interest simply for the fact that this is the first year this call will be on the market. I'm still having my reservations about buying this product.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:16 PM
Fork Horn

Did nobody see chapter 15 on Whitetail Maddness 9? It gives an exclusive on a guy from Wisconsin that shot a doe in estrus and had a buck come in a start growling, as soon as he started this growling (five or six times) about three or four other bucks came out of nowhere and started in on this doe and him. Dream Season 9 also has numerous hunts with the growler. The only thing is, is that I am not convinced the M.A.D. Growler has the sound down right (watch the video and judge for yourself) it sounds too clicky to me and not as throaty as the true deer growl...
Old 07-20-2006, 10:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a link to the video if anyone wants to check it out. One of the guys on the xbow forum said Wally World has em for just under $15
http://www.obsessionarchery.com/buck-growl-mad-calls-p-830.html?osC...
Old 07-21-2006, 03:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hi WhitBri
Last season when I was setting in my stand the first week of Nov., the " chase phase " was kicking in high gear.
I saw a nice buck runing this doe and making this sound with every step, I thought it was a tennding gunt.
I did hear other bucks gunting as they followed does but when another buck showed up the grunting became louder.
As for that Buck Growl call, I picked one up to see if it will work this fall.
You can never have enough " toy's ".
Old 07-21-2006, 06:12 AM

They just had mark drury and the new call with plenty of film footage on Deer and Deer Hunting this past week. Very very interesting...never heard the noise myself in the woods but the video some guy sent in from kentucky or somewhere down there this buck made the growl several times...the guy shot a doe with his bow, it died about 40 yards away on the edge of a corn field and then 15-20 mins later a buck came by and the action started...the video speaks for itself the buck was goring the downed doe as if to get her up, he chased off several (4-5) other bucks and then a bigger buck came in...the growl of this buck was so intense and loud that you would almost not want to climb out of the tree...more like a roar!

According to them the bucks did it in intense situations where there was a does in heat, competition from other bucks and a lot of excitement.

In my own experience, i have been bow and gun hunting in NY and PA for the last 10 years religiously with hundreds of hours in the woods and never heard a buck fight, only heard grunting a handful of times and never heard a snort wheeze...but i use all of these in my arsenal come the rut and always either shoot bucks or have bucks come in to the sounds.

Quick Reply: Buck growl call

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.