Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who Got You In

Old 07-20-2006, 04:37 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Who Got You In

I kinda did myself,with a little bit of inspiration from a book from Fred bear.Also had a roomate that,gave me a recurve when I was around 19 years old.My ex bought me a compound back then a PSE Lazer(I think it was called ).I read books on deer hunting and was self taught.I used to love stalking deer in the nearby woods and would realy get close.I didn't take a deer for my firstfifteen years of bowhunting,but man did I learn a bunch in those years(IMO)I put the bow down after about ten years,and met a friend when I moved to another town ,that re-introduced me to bowhunting and newer equipment and using release aids instead of finger shooting and such.About 6 years ago I started buying how to videos,like tuning ,fundamental shooting stuff,andd string making videos,as well as a bowpress,and string making jig,chrono and such.I now work on my own stuff,and that buddie that got me back into my passion his as well as others that he brings my way.Also this web site and another has kept the fire burning some too. way back then for some reason I fell in love with the Hoyt logo (You know the apple)I was young then but for some reason I wanted one of those bow with that red apple logo on it but couldn't afford it.It took a long time but I bought my first Hoyt back in 1999 or 2000 it was the Havoc.I now own a Razer tech and have taken many critters with both bows.Bill D>
Old 07-20-2006, 04:44 AM

My father took me when I was first hunting, but only because I asked him to. Otherwise he thinks bow hunters are a waste. (some very poor excuses for huntersare his only direct experience with them)

But the reason I wanted to go was I got tired of freezing my .... tail .... off every year during rifle season, and I had been shooting at a local shop for competition for a few years. So I decided to try to avoid the lousy weather of late November and Decemberand get done well before the seasons changed too much.

Now I am getting back into it because I want the longer season and greater chance at getting my deer.

Simple as that.

Old 07-20-2006, 04:56 AM
Host of Hosts

A friend at work got me hooked. I always liked shooting a bow, but he talked me into buying an archery license and now I can't think of much else....That Bast@#$
Old 07-20-2006, 05:23 AM

My roomate in college 13 years ago. One of the best all around "sportsmen" I'll ever know. Haven't looked back since, started with a Golden Eagle Evolution(still have) which I traded one of my guns in for. In college I couldn't afford anything, so I had to pawn off anything I could. One of the best trades I have ever made.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Self taught.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

My father did back in high school, but then his health started to deteriorate and I stopped for a few years. When I met my now wife 6 years ago, her brother is a die hard bowhunter.. He got back into it tenfold and the addiction took over from there. Both are totally obsessed. Come deer season everybody says that I should have married my brother in law because we hunt so much together.

Old 07-20-2006, 06:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

My Mom and Dad both shot compitition acrchery in the 60's. My dad, uncles, grandfather,and friends probably got me into hunting.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator

My Dad and Grandfather in 1962. Since then I can't count how many I have gotten interested.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:53 AM

Some guys at church bow hunted for deer and it sounded like fun. They were the keystone Cops of bowhunting, so I pretty much had to learn everything via the school of hard knocks. That was nearly 30 years ago!!!
Old 07-20-2006, 06:54 AM
Typical Buck

Grew up with the whole family bow hunting up at our cabin innorthern WI. Stopped when I was about 15. No place to bow hunt. Our family cabin/land was 2 hours away. Dad didn't want to drive after the friday night football games. So when I got out of college got a job andbought a butt load of land to hunt on and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.